just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

What's in a Name?

A couple of weeks ago I took an order that was sent to Battle Moore. I repeated the name and spelling and the caller confirmed that I had it right. Carefully, I remarked that I had never heard that name before. She said it was an old family name!

~~~~~~~~~

Last week I took an order for a quilted Christmas stocking from a mother named Jennifer. The stocking was personalized for her daughter, Emma. No big deal, we're selling thousands of personalized quilted Christmas stockings. (Last year we were sold out well before Thanksgiving, thank goodness our buyers got smart!)

The very next call was also from a Jennifer, but, hey, that's not an unusual name, so I didn't say anything. Then she ordered a knit Christmas stocking. To be personalized for her daughter.

Emma.

Here's where I burst out, "ohimgosh, I JUST took an order from a Jennifer for her daughter Emma!!"

She started to laugh and said "Get out. You're kidding me!!"

And I assured her I was not. It was so weird!

8 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That is pretty weird. Twilight Zone kind of weird.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Sar said...

That's almost too bizarre to be a coincidence. Maybe Jennifer has a stocking fetish. Oh yikes, that didn't come out right!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

It would have been better if you took an order FROM an "Emma" to be given to someone named "Jennifer" - then made a remark that caused the gift idea to be blown :)

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

Talk about wierd, I also have a post by the same title...are you an Anne of Green Gables nut like me?

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Funny!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger dddragon said...

m.c.pearson: alas, I've not read Anne of Green Gables.

Iguana: I used to work at a retail store where husbands and wives would sometimes try to surprise each other with a gift - a few times one hid in our back room or ran out the back door!

Sar!!

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

It's either Weird, or Jennifer needs help. Probably doesn't even have a daughter Emma. Just an invisible friend, whispering in her ear "buuuyyyyy meeee a quilted...stocking, my preccccccioussssssss."

Or, alternatively, maybe I'm the one with the problem.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i will wait for the news of the 3rd Jennifer. but now at least i know you sell quilted Christmas stockings :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home