just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Monday, July 10, 2006

Day Trip

Our trip to New Hope was just okay. Some businesses were still not open due to the flooding of the Delaware River. The restaurant that we had lunch at was open for its second day since the flood. And not all of the restaurant was useable yet. Oddly enough, the canal (about two blocks from the River) was nearly dry.

Just before we got into New Hope, we saw this:










Then I remembered that there had been a public art project with fiberglass mules, similar to the CowParade. This was "Miles of Mules" was inspired by the canals along the Delaware River. (Remember the song Erie Canal?)
















This mule is on the main drag of New Hope - originally it had a brass pole thru its back - its title is Merry Go Mule. (I think it's at the same location as shown here, at the bottom of the page.) I took this photo, Nod hasn't downloaded his photos yet. The three or four that we saw were all in this same pose - it wasn't until I saw the website that I realized that there were three poses (just like the Cows). And the ones that we saw weren't that interesting, but once I looked at the others online, I can see that there were better ones. However, the Cows as a whole are a more interesting "canvas" to work with.

5 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Your Dad and I are checking this post out, and remembering our trip there. We saw the Mules when they were new and in their "glory."

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yeah, I think you're right. Cows are more, well, cowish.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Marti said...

They do the cows in Kansas City - fitting for a "cow town" LOL

The mules are interesting though!

Thanks for sharing!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I had a gal and her name was Sal.

Sorry it was just OK. New Hope's just like the old, I guess.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Sorry New Hope wasn't much fun -- it is usually a fun town. The mule looks pretty good, but yeah, the cows are better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home