just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Back in the Saddle Again . . .

. . . sort of.

My gall bladder was removed on Monday, outpatient surgery. Felt pretty out-of-it and uncomfortable afterwards, but by the time I got home that afternoon, I was starting to perk up and definitely felt better on Tuesday.

But then on Tuesday night my right shoulder started to bother me. A nurse had mentioned that the gas used to puff/pump up my abdomen might migrate up there, so I figured that was it. Got a heating pad and lay down on the couch (but didn't lay ON that side). At 2 pm I woke up and now my whole arm hurt, from my neck down to my tingling fingers. That didn't seem quite right, but I took a painkiller and tried to get some more sleep. Around 4:30 am my SO came downstairs to see where I'd been. After describing my pains, he called the Health Connect line our HMO provides. After asking me questions and looking at my file, she said "chew an aspirin for 30 seconds and call 911."

Well, that freaked me out.

So, we called 911 - I insisted that they not use lights or sirens. The EMS guys were quite nice and thought that I was doing well for just having had my gall bladder out. I walked out to the ambulance - they wanted me to lay on the stretcher, but I was being stubborn and embarrassed and insisted on sitting on the side bench (not a comfortable ride, I can tell you!).

I kept telling everyone that I was just following the recommendation of the phone nurse (and yes, I do understand their restrictions and liabilities) but that I really thought it was the gas from the operation - but I hadn't expected it to affect me or hurt the way it did. I had laser laparoscopy 15 years years ago and had gas bubble pains then, and this wasn't ANYthing like that. However, once they had me, they were determined to rule out a blood clot or anything else.

Well, after five hours and many tests - now I know what a CAT scan is like - they finally called my surgeon, who said "oh, yeah, that's quite common."

For pete's sake, couldn't someone have called him sooner?

So, my painkiller dose was increased, and now I'm really feeling odd. Definitely "do not operate a machine..." status. Plus I'm drinking plenty of fluids, so I'm visiting the bathroom plenty of times. Oh, what fun.

At least I'm losing weight, which I'm always trying to do. However, friends have been bringing over casseroles and stuff for my family and they SMELL SO GOOD .... and I can't eat them. Are flower arrangements fat-free?

9 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sending many positive and healing vibes your way!

This is called loosing weight the hard way.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Yeah. I've thought about having my jaws wired shut, but never having my gall bladder out.

BTW, some flowers are edible, and they are sure to be fat-free...unless there's a bug inside.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Well, I would think bugs are fat-free. Maybe some bugs aren't. Source of protein, too.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Goodness, what an experience! I hope the healing goes well. Enjoy that flower snack!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

So glad you're on your way to recovery. Sounds like you had an interesting diversion, and one can never complain about an increase in pain meds.
Take it easy, and get completely well. Then, have a feast!!!!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Shirley said...

Glad you're home and on your way to recovery! Sending good thoughts your way!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger admin said...

I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger TLP said...

OMG! The Pope blessed your site with a visit. You and Aral both in the early, early, AM. You must be special.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Hey, better safe than sorry! I'm glad nothing was seriously wrong... but too bad about all the discomfort! Ick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home