just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Chatham's at the Vet's



Chatham at 10 weeks, 10 years and 17 years.

Chatham is at the vet's today. This morning I saw the symptoms of urinary tract blockage and/or infection, so I took him in right away. Urinary problems can kill a cat pretty quickly. He had his first trouble with it around 11 years ago and we monitored it for many years. It seemed like he was over it, but, alas, he's got it again. The vet says it was a good thing that I suspected it and brought him in, because later today Chatham would have been in dire straits.

Since he's 18 years old, we want to try and avoid anything that would lead to anesthesia. The vet was able to do a bit of manual "rotor rooting" (doesn't that sound awful). She'll keep Chatham all day and tomorrow, unless he seems too stressed to stay overnight, then he'd come home. She wants to see if he can urinate on his own.

Keepin' our fingers crossed, but I think he'll be okay since we caught it this early.

ADDENDUM: The vet called to say that Chatham "gave" her a good stream with lots of volume ~ lol ~ so she'd like him to come home tonight. Apparently he's been growling all day and she doesn't want him to be stressed any more than necessary. The last time he growled for hours he lost his voice. So, it's a new diet and more pills for the old boy for awhile. We'll have to keep an eye on his use of the litterbox. Since we've two cats, this is a challenge.

Remind me, if I haven't already, to tell y'all how DH got Chatham to give a urine sample on command. Twice.

ADDENDUM to the ADDENDUM: Chatham has spent most of his time home again under our bed, growling in a very low, very angry, very menacing manner.

Oh, yeah, Chatham left a little poopy gift on our bed. Doing laundry now.

15 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Lila said...

I hope he's okay!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Goodness - I'm glad you reminded me. It's time to make an appointment for my colonoscopy. You may have saved my life, too! :)

Very pretty cat, indeed.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

fred: ah ...hmm ... always glad to help!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger mireille said...

good news about Chatham. and yes, please tell us about DH and urinating on command. xoxo

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

That is great news! I am so happy that Chatham is alright.

We had a cat who lived to be 21.

All good thoughts are with him, and yes, please tell us about the urine sample!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Meegan said...

What a handsome guy! He is lucky to have you.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger A Little Bar of Soap said...

I'll say a little prayer for one of God's little creatures.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

My cats leave a little "present" for me when the vet pisses them off too.

One time, the gift was in my shoe. did I notice it before I tried to put the shoe on? No.

I had to go shopping for new shoes that day.

Cats are evil. And they CAN think. They can plot. And they know all about revenge.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Glad he's better.
He is lucky to have you. I'd throw away a KID who pooped on my bed. Yep. There were originally 5 of you.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

I'm glad your vet was able to take care of the blockage without too much trouble. Poor guy, that HAS to hurt.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"Mom, if I told you once I've told you a thousand times, I do not like that man in the white coat. He simply shreds my privacy."

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

AH, the revenge of Chatham. I'm glad he's ok and think a cat that old is entitled to be curmudgeonly.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger the many Bs said...

I'm glad he's okay. He must be growling because he's mad at you. That's a good sign. He's a beautiful cat. Those are nice pictures of him.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Poor kitty! One of mine just went through that business, but we got him the the vet in time. They kept him for 2 nights with a catheter in. OUCH! Nows he's got a permanent new diet. Hope Chatham does well and growls less.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home