just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Happy Birthday, Granny

ddd, Granny, Nivek and Actonbell
To answer Fred ~ Left to Right: ddd, Granny, Nevik and Actonbell.
AP3 wasn't around yet when this photo was taken.

Today Granny would have been 95 years old. She passed away four years ago, and I miss her a lot.

When I was around six or so, we lived around the corner of a long block from my Aunt Mary and my cousins Tommy and Fletcher. Fletcher was always in trouble, and this time he got me in trouble, too.

They had a large black dog named Cindy, who recently had puppies. Fletcher convinced me they needed a bath and he filled the wheelbarrow with water. I guess that I was ignorant enough that I didn't realize that puppies - their eyes were still shut - didn't need us to keep them clean. So we put them in the water and they yelped and doggie-paddled away. Aunt Mary came out and started yelling.

Fletcher and I ran like the dickens. We hopped on our tricycles - we had just gotten them for Xmas and they were identical (except HIS had fancy tassles on the handlebars and MINE didn't) and we pedaled like mad to get away.

For some reason, we didn't turn left to go up the slight incline to get around to my house. We turned right, which meant we would have to go around most of the block. But that's what we did. I remember pretty vividly being about half way up the other side of the block and turning around to find that Fletcher had fallen behind, and beyond him, in the middle of the street, was Aunt Mary, waving the flyswatter (that's what was used across the back of the legs) at us. Mary was a pretty good-sized woman, but she was gaining ground on Fletcher. I was scared and pedaled faster.

I reached my house, where Granny was with Actonbell and infant Nevik. I ran into the house, screaming that Aunt Mary was going to kill me, ran to the back of the house to my room and slammed the door shut.

I sat with my ear to the door, heart pounding so hard that I could barely hear. I could hear Granny speaking with Mary, and that Mary was angry.

Then it got quiet. I cautiously opened the door, and then crept to the front room. Granny looked at me. "Didn't you know that those puppies didn't need to have a bath?" she asked. I mutely shook my head. Granny sighed. "Well, they didn't, you could've drowned them. But they're okay, just don't do anything like that again."

So, that's my story of how Granny Saved Me.

15 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Happy Birthday Granny! I loved all of TLP's stories, so I feel like I know quite a bit about her. Yours also told us more - she was a character!

(Who's who in the picture?)

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

*LOL* Oh I love it! What a marvellous family you have. I continue to be jealous that I wasn't born into it, though my own family is quite unusual and memorable too...

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Good old Granny. The "Yoda" tag makes more and more sense. "Mistaken you are. A sith you are not."

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Did you have your epitaph ready?

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Happy birthday to granny. What a beautiful memory from a beloved grandaughter for her to cherish.

Be well. Have a good Sunday.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Great story to remember her by.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Happy Birthday to Granny! It seems that she was a fair-minded sort. Great story!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Good old MAMA! Yep. It's her birthday, and yes, I do miss her. Four years of laughs that we haven't had from her.

That afternoon I heard your version of the dog-washing-caper, and Mama's tale of what Mary said to her about it, and Mary's story right from her own mouth.

Mama and I giggled our heads off, but not in front of you or Mary. You coulda hurt the puppies, so we didn't want to encourage you on that, but it was funny.

Mary didn't run very often. In fact I don't think I ever saw her run. I'm still sorry that I missed that sight.

What's funnier still is the sight of Little Bitty Mama and Big-Girl Mary together and that they were actually mother and daughter.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Oh, about the tricycle handle tassles: Get over it!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger mireille said...

sweet reason. She must have really been something. And you kids were adorable. xoxoxo

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Granny stood up for you. God only knows what Aunt Mary would have done. I suppose poor Fletcher got his legs swatted, and since she was angry about not getting to you, he may have gotten a double dose.
I love the picture. I had pony tails like yours only mine were VERY thin and straggly.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger the many Bs said...

That is a scary story. I was feeling your fear, just by reading it. It's a good thing that those puppies didn't drown. I guess you were just little kids that didn't know any better. You were lucky to have such a great granny to save you. :-)

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger surly girl said...

you've got to love a grandmother. i lost my nanny 11 years ago this december and still miss her. she took no shit from anyone - a trait i try to carry on to this day....

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Ynnarg Yoda Pez was the bomb. I miss her too.

This Sept. 11 was also Me Wonder Woman Pez's mother's (my mother-in-law's) 80th birthday. HOLLAH!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Thanks for the IDs. Love the pigtails!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home