just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Band



Here is the brass section of our high school band. (It's about 7 pm at this point.) We're a small school district - last I heard there were about 1100 students K - 12. Goa'uld & Bookworm's 9th grade class is considered huge at 108. (Mind you, I graduated from the same school in 1977 and my graduating class size was 148. AP3's class was in the 80s when she graduated in 1986.)

There are 81 high school musicians and guard (flags, rifles, batons, etc.) plus the support staff and student managers. It seemed like the other school's band and football team had twice as many people as we did.

As I sat and watched the band and the game (more band than game, admittedly), I began to notice the large number of kids from the local town/school walking a circuit around the field. (The football field was surrounded by a four-lane track and then a chain link fence.) 'Round and round these kids went, during the whole game. After awhile a few turns it got so that we'd recognize many of the kids and I realized that I was seeing the same kids. Three hours of solid talking, mingling, cell phone chatting (it was so loud, I don't know how they heard the person on the phone) and eating. Quite the social event, it appears. This was way out in farm country, so all those John Deere hats were the real McCoy, not some fashion statement a city kid bought at the mall.

Update: And it's always great when you win! Score 28 to 27!

8 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger thc said...

So who won the game?

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Lila said...

I think my graduating class had 88 students. Tiny! Aved Princess Leia Pez's graduating class had something like 370.

When I talked to kids in college about high school, I realized that I'd practically gone to a publically sponsored prep school!

Anyway, the band looks great. I wish I'd been there!

I remember walking around the track in circles in that very place, socializing. That's what it was all about! That, and the concession stand.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger TLP said...

I can barely wait to see the kids march. I'm hoping that Acton Bell will go with me to a couple of games. I imagine that's all I will want to see. I'm not big on high school football. LOL. As you well know, I can easily walk to the football field from my house--the house you grew up in.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I love high school bands, and John Deere hats!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Fred said...

You really do have s small district - the size of my high school is 2,200 students.

The band looks great - even better that you won!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Yeah, it reminds me of the times I was in highschool. We never paid any attention to the game, we were too busy socializing!

To get rid of these pesky scammers, you'll have to turn on that feature that I use; word verification. That way you'll get rid of idiots like 'Jerome Jackson'.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Well, I meant to say 'spammers' but 'scammers' is accurate, too.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

lol, Saur. I did have it on for a very short while, but until mom gets her PC woes fixed, I'll keep it off (in fact, she emailed her contribution to doug's word of the day and I posted it for her).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home