just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Friday, September 02, 2005

Penn State on my mind

My dear sis AP3's stepdaughter is off to college today, which got her reminiscing about her first arrival at Cornell. Other sister Actonbell commented on it, too. Even Hoss has a college theme today.

Old Main, Penn State And to top it off, today's newspaper here had an article about college students from Mississippi and Louisiana calling Penn State (my alma mater) and other school to enroll, since their schools are obviously not going to be having classes for awhile. A local girl who had just flown down to Tulane was told by the basketball coach to leave; she said that she is currently waiting, hoping that Tulane will open sooner rather than later.

Penn State ready to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina

On a related note, regular gas in our area (this morning) is at $3.19. It jumped 60 cents in a week. I wish that I had filled up at $2.79. Foolish and stupid me couldn't believe that it was going to go up and I kept hoping that I would find it at $2.59 again. I heard Governor Rendell say that there was "plenty of gas in reserves" and that we were not going to run out. And then he went on to say that people were going to have to carpool. A friend is reconsidering visiting her brother for his 50th birthday because of the distance she would have to go, and her goddaughter's wedding shower next week is also far away. I know that DH are wondering about our travels, too. We've tickets to a game at Penn State in a couple of weeks and it's a 100 mile trip one way. Our Kids have football and Tournament of Band competitions that are sometimes that far away. We may only go to the home games and TOBs that are nearby. Maybe the band parents will set up a car pool (considering that our town is considered affluent and many like to keep up that image, maybe not).

On another note, we will indeed be driving two hours to and two hours back to witness Goa'uld and Bookworm's first foray into the Marching Band world. Photos may follow. (BTW, Bookworm's PC was in the shop for the past week, and DH needs to reinstall everything.)

And finally, notes from the Call Center: the surname of the day is Smychynsky. The street names of the day are Lois Lane (I'm NOT kidding!) and Amber Wave Drive. When I confirmed the latter name, I said "as in Amber Waves of grain?" and the woman said that all the street names in the developement had a patriotic theme. Oh, that reminds me. Some time ago I took an order for Lovers Lane, Roswell, NM. Go ahead, check it on Mapquest.

9 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Babette said...

So glad we channeled a path to one another's blogs today!

Your fealty toward Penn State is endearing, however "GO SPARTANS" must remain my battle call. YAY for marching bands--if only they would let cellists join!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Lovers Lane in Roswell? That answers a lot of questions. What any cars parked there in 1947 must have thought when the ship crashed...

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Got my first spammer today ... thus the Verification. Don't know if I'll keep it.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I love all the tidbits you post about names, etc... from your job. I find that stuff interesting.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger TLP said...

I don't know where the Lois Lane you learned about was, but I know there's one in Mechanicsburg, PA.

Your dad and I were just talking about the long arms of Katrina. Even if one's home were not blown away, or flooded, etc., the jobs and services will have blown away. I'm too slow-witted to figure out how this is ever going to work out for the folks in the areas that were hit.

I probably can't post this, as I can't generally get past the word verification thing, but here goes.
Ikptng: Ink painting?

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Okay, for you, mom, I'll turn off the word verification.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger mireille said...

Because I saw Go Spartans, I have to GO BLUE for dh (which btw means dear husband) and me. Our fillup was at $2.75 but I'm sure it'll go up. I guess some areas closer to where Katrina hit are actually gasless. completely. I like talking about alumni nostalgia better. xoxo

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Lovers Lane in Roswell. NM. Not that there's anything wrong with consenting aliens. 1 block south of Bland Street.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Fred said...

We've had gas stations actually run out, but it doesn't seem to be creating a panic situation. Yet.

The lowest gas we can find here is $2.79 at Costco; most stations are at $2.99 right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home