just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Painting

DH and I exhibited our artistic wares this weekend at an art show 20 minutes down the pike. Mostly DH's photographs, I don't much time to actually create artwork these days. (yeah, what about all this time on the PC?)

On Saturday, a woman parked her van across from the show and got out paints and brushes.


The van already had a good bit painted on it - she told me that it was all started last April. She is a partner in a downtown art studio. She and others were organizing an arts alliance for the downtown, incorporating galleries, restaurants and other businesses interested in promoting the arts and generating traffic and patronage.


So, today I came with my painting pants on and painted a bit myself for about an hour or so.



I painted this green dragon with the orangy background. The paint was weird - it was indeed for painting metal and the van won't need to be clear-coated to protect the images. Andrea had brought the basic primary colors, along with white and black, but it didn't mix well (or like you'd think they should) and I had some trouble getting the colors we needed. And it started to dry quickly, but will actually be very tacky for days, so we had to work pretty wet and quickly.

It's not as finished as I would've liked it, but hey, it was fun and she was happy to get another section filled. If I lived in York I would stop by her place and work some more on it. Maybe next year!

9 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger mireille said...

Hey, we've got a VW Passat that really could use a dragon! Wanna road trip to Seattle? xoxo

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Too cool. I really like the eye in the reatview.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

That looks really cool! I love the way you incorporated the shape of your dragon around the headlight!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Lila said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Yeah, the car looks cool. I think it would be fun to have my bug painted...

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

That's a fine dragon by a fine birthday girl!!

But "wet and sticky" is a little suggestive, don't you think?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger TLP said...

LOL Hoss.

Happy Birthday Kid.

I like the dragon, but since I've seen your REAL work, I understand that you are disappointed with it.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Minka said...

how very self-involved of you to paint a dragon on the car.....
but it is your birthday and we´ll just gloss over it:)

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
Til hamingju með daginn!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Cool car - what fun. Very nice paint job - is there a market for dragons on cars?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home