just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, August 14, 2005

New Day

Well, still have the headache. Did get some stuff done today, anyway.

I asked mom to help me paint a mural at church. It's a small wall outside the preschool classroom, about 8 feet tall and 11 or 12 feet long. I had to first get the paint, so I went to the Home Depot on our side of the river. Picked out about eight different colors and went to the paint counter. It was already hot and the store was very busy. To my dismay, it looked like the paint guy was alone and there were three people in front of me. So I waited until my turn, dreading giving this guy all these colors to mix. At 10:45 I presented him with the swatch cards. He said apologetically that it would take awhile. Eyeing a pregnant woman in line, I told him to feel free to slip in some others' paint inbetween mine. I stepped to the far end of the counter and leaned for a moment. The preggo woman and her husband give Jeff the employee their color swatch, then walked away, coming towards me. As they passed behind me, she sez "it's going to take awhile, he's got like 80 gallons to do." I said quietly to myself "no, only 2 gallons and 6 quarts."

Geeez. Don't get started on me, sister. Sorry that your pregnancy ain't sittin' well with you, but I delivered 12 1/2 pounds of babies and we changed over 200 diapers a week for over three months (we had a diaper service, so I know the number!!). If you can't stand the line at the counter then stay at home.

So I decided to go off to gather brushes and the rest of the stuff.

I wander around, checking back now and then. Others were getting their paints. Saw one man get three. Two guys got two five gallon buckets of stains done. Saw another get a group of three gallons. And so forth. I wander around the who paint island and see my swatches and the computer print-out stickers sitting back there. Checking my watch (well, the clock on my cell phone), I see that it's getting close to being an hour since I gave him those colors to do. I return to the counter and when he gets there I ask him how many more of mine are still to be done (suspecting, mind you, that he hadn't started yet). He admits that he hadn't gotten to them because of all of the other customers. I let him know that he had done more gallons for others than I had given to him in total, and some of those were groups of threes and one of a group of four. He apologized and said he would get on it soon. (soon?!)

Now I'm steaming. I went to the Customer Service counter and told them my story. The woman there told me that I needed to speak to the manager, Chris. I said that I just thought that Jeff, the paint guy, needed someone to get over there and help. Turns out that they had asked other employees in the building, but no one else could do it. The woman practically begged me to complain to the manager, because under-scheduling was a chronic problem.

So now I'm off to look for Manager Chris. Found a tall employee named Jim. Asked where Chris was. He offered to find Chris for me and asked for the specifics of the problem. He returns, saying that Chris was handing another problem and Jim was now empowered to help me out ... and he said that there would be NO CHARGE for the paint.

WHAT? I truthfully was flabbergasted. Never expected that (but inside I was as tickled as could be). Told Jim that I didn't expect that, just for Jeff to get some help. It still took awhile for the paint to be done because Jeff was still alone.

When I finally got the last of the paint, a woman who had been at the counter for a while said "it's MY turn now, I've been here a long time!" in a rather nasty voice.

I turned my head toward her and said quietly, "I've been here for an hour and a half."

"You had a lot done," she said without sympathy and a bit of a sneer.

Looking at her and wondering if that plush belly was holding a baby or just fat, I said, "He didn't even start my stuff for an hour after I had given him my colors."

She just made an impatient nose and turned away, clearly dismissing me.

Meanwhile, mom had been waiting for me at church. We didn't get a start on the mural until after 1 pm and I had planned on getting there before noon. But we're a good team and got alot accomplished. Naturally, neither of us thought to bring a camera, but we'll try to remember next time (mom, keeping notes?).


At 9:17 PM, Blogger AP3 said...

Sorry about your headache, and about that experience! Geez! Some people!

Can't wait to see a picture.

Cool new header!

At 9:44 PM, Blogger thc said...

I always thought that being the paint guy at Home Depot would be my dream job (if I ever decide to quit the big corporate life). I guess even that can have its stresses.

Please post photos of the mural!

At 11:26 PM, Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

It was fun painting with you today. I can hardly wait to put in the details on it. It's going to be great.

At 11:27 PM, Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

Forgot to say. Love the new header.

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I hope your headache is gone by now.
I hope you will post a pic of the mural.
It's great that you and TLP are doing it together.

At 1:22 AM, Blogger schnoodlepooh said...

Wow. What a story. I just hate it when those huge stores are understaffed like that, especially on a busy weekend. It's frustrating. But I look forward to seeing the pictures of the mural and the header of your blog looks great. I liked the other one too, but this is cool. Variety is fun, yep, it is!

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Doug said...

I'll add my name to the picture of the mural petition. Especially knowing what it took to get the paint.

At 8:14 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Home Depot on the weekend is like a trip to hell. I'm impressed by your self control.

I can't wait to see that mural. How cool!

At 11:09 AM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

This is why places like Home Despot suck. There used to be a place that sold nothing but paint near where I live. Good paint too, Sherwin Williams was all they stocked. Anyone who worked there could tell you what paint you wanted for outdoor use or indoor use - and why.

Then the Home Despot moved in. Home Despot also stocks Sherwin Williams paints. The paint place is now a bait and tackle store.

And what do people get for a few bucks savings? Lousy service. Last time I was in a Home Despot was to buy some chain for the boat trailer. I could not get any help at all, until I decided to just use the chain cutting machine myself.

I find myself involved in small projects where I only need a few screws or bolts. The small hardware store, where the guy could tell you the pitch and length of anything just by looking at it briefly - is gone. So I have to go to the place where nothing is where it should be, nobody can help you, and the lines are long.

Oh yea, and the Home Despot "stainless steel" hardware sucks ass. It rusts. It is not supposed to, but it does. For my boat hardware I have to go to the marine store, or to this welding shop.

At 12:21 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

My guess is you would rather have had the paint mixed right away than to get it free after a 2-hour wait. Or maybe that's just me.

At 12:59 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

A productive day with a headache...That is amazing.

Enjoy Monday.

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

Just gotta see the mural.

At 5:16 PM, Blogger mireille said...

I like the part where you chained your tongue to the roof of your mouth and refrained from asking the second grouchy plush belly if she was pregnant!! What forbearance! What a missed opportunity for fireworks! What civility! xoxoxo

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Icy, you and Dusty stay away from the mural! Bad dog!

At 6:11 PM, Blogger actonbell said...

Poor 3D! I'm sorry you had to go through all that, and hope your headaches go away--and love the new header:)

At 7:05 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I actually worked in a Home Depot after I retired; it was something to fill a few months before I started teaching. What they did was to mandate that all stores had to move from 25% to 50% part-time employees. (They're cheaper - no benefits.)

As a result, there's no one around who knows anything, and with turnover at the 50% rate, they really don’t care because they're usually not around too long.

I agree with Iguana. If you can find a small mom and pop place, it's always a better experience.

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I'm not sure I would have waited around that long. I probably would have gone to the small Sears store down the street instead.
Glad you were still able to get your painting done. Boy, I feel sorry for the young man at the paint counter. He was probably more stressed than you were.

At 10:21 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

I'm the kind of person that tends to "give it five more minutes". The clerk was actually an older man - they do have a fair number of people that may be in the retiree bracket (as Fred said earlier, tho' I think he must've retired really very early!). Others seem to be of college age.

(I'm at church finishing up the newsletter ... waiting for it to print off so I can bolt.)

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Ouch! I know I wouldn't have waited anywhere near as long as you did.


Post a Comment

<< Home