just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Liar, Liar ... Quilt's on Fire

This was inspired by Doug's Liar post, and Lightning Bug's Butt 's and Jamie Dawn's getting-into-theater posts.

I was one of those big toddlers. Mom tells me that when I was two years old, I was as big as a six year old (wearing size six clothing). People were always asking her why I wasn't in school. This was pretty upsetting to her, as she was a young mother and intimidated by her elders.

However, when I was six, I was still wearing size six. So, I guess there was a savings in clothing, right? Actually, no. You see, Granny and mom's oldest sister Mary sewed. ALOT. I had enough clothing to not repeat wearing anything for weeks. Granny made her own patterns. Show her an article of clothing and she would figure out how to make it. Made her own bras, for pete's sake. Aunt Mary made and sold Barbie clothing. I remember seeing it hanging on a rack at Papa's store.

Mom further sez that when I was out playing, adult friends would stop me to inspect my clothing. Apparently you could tell who made it by looking at the inner workings - Granny's was as neat on the insides as the outsides. Mary's handiwork was best looked at from the outside ~ who cared what it looked like inside?

I've got a quilt top that Mary made. It's a Lone Star pattern. It's HUGE. It's like she started and didn't know when to quit. It needs to have fabric added between the star points before it gets quilted. The fabric used was all leftovers from other projects ~ this is what quilts were orginially meant to use. The notion of going out and buying new fabric to make a quilt with was an alien concept to Aunt Mary. Some of the fabrics would make you laugh - strictly 70s stuff. I keep thinking that I'm going to finish it one of these days. Actonbell made a Lone Star quilt for her bed ... it's really neat. Mom has quilts that Granny made and I can recognize some of the fabric coming from clothes that she made.

Well, DH is vacuuming. Guess I need to get going and help with the cleaning . . .

12 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger thc said...

Mrs. THC began quilting a few years ago and has bbecome pretty fanatical about it, but it is interesting. She's documenting her projects on her blog at:
http://merrystitcher.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"And the winner of 'Most Well-Dressed in the 2-6-Year-Old Category' is..."

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Yeah, that star quilt is very cool. I love crazy quilts.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger dddragon said...

THC: I've been to the Merry Stitcher, I didn't realize that was your wife. She does very nice things!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Marti said...

“Randomly” stumbled on to your blog {{snicker} via Courtney (what a sweetie!)

Love it! Will blogroll you! Stop by sometime, door’s always open!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

The part behind the couch is already done, Dddragon. You just made sewing and quilting interesting for me. That's weird.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Hey, you formerlyu massive toddler,
I love quilts, and those made by a loved one are that much more wonderful.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Quilts are amazing!

My grandmother used to sew as well.
You bring back some good memories.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Funny, that sounds so much like my family, too. Thanks for the memories!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Perhaps you should be like those in the Brady Bunch movies and live in a 70's world in the present day.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Mom quilts quite a bit. She always refers to herself as "The Happy Hooker."

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Yes, Mama and Mary were great seamtresses. I still have a quilt top that MY grandmother (my father's mother that is) pieced (a crazy quilt pattern) that I need to quilt. Probably ain't gonna happen. And or course I have the baby quilt that Mama and her mother made for your Aunt Mary before she was born. Mary left it to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home