just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, July 21, 2005

"Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this planet!"

SciFi Daily posted a nice piece about James Doohan, who played Scotty on the original Star Trek series. Commenters posted some of their favorite Scotty quotes, and it got me searching for more: http://tvsothertenpercent.tripod.com/startrek/scotty.html.

One of my favorite bits is from By Any Other Name, where Scotty is trying to get an alien drunk. After they go through every other bottle he has, Scotty brings out the last, precious bottle. The now barely-on-his-feet alien asks what it is. Scotty looks at it, swaying a bit, and finally says "It's green!" The alien takes a swig and then falls down drunk. Scotty retrieves the item from the alien's belt that he was after, gets as far as the door, and then collapses himself. (In Star Trek: The Next Generation, Data uses the same line in Relics when Scotty is in Ten Forward and wants a drink.)


"Just before they went into warp, I beamed the whole kit and kaboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all." -- Scotty, explaining how he got rid of the tribbles (The Trouble With Tribbles)



Here's a trivia question: What was the name of the sequel to The Trouble With Tribbles?

15 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Lone Ranger said...

"More Tribbles, More Troubles" in the animated series.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

RIP Mr. Doohan.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Someone whom everyone admired.

I forgot to comment on aral's blog about the stricking resemblence!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Whoa, I've been totally out-trekkied.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Fred said...

I read his obituary; he had a child when he was 80!

The other line I always remember him saying was "I'm giving her all she's got, Captain!"

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Shirley said...

I loved those guys! I feel like I knew them as well as I knew people in real life. Funny how you can get connected with ficticious characters.

(Hey I changed my name, check out my new blog!)

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Lone Ranger: Yup!

And Fred: yeah, I heard about his child, too. Tony Randall was 79 when he became a dad.

For more Scotty info, go here: http://www.answers.com/topic/james-doohan

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger TLP said...

I remember very well reading an article about Star Trek in the late 60's I guess, that said it was a nothing show and would be taken off the air.

It was taken off, but boy, look at how far it came in re-runs.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Nice post. Farewell to Scotty!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Yeah, Scotty was cool. As a kid, I always liked him and "Bones".

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I loved the original Star Trek the most. It was somehow so real, and so easy to identify with. It was a magical, endearing series. I was always amazed that it wasn't a hit when it first came out! RIP.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Dddragon, please come back by Waking Ambrose today.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger thc said...

Scotty was probably the most lovable character on the show and you've captured it with the photos you posted.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

A great post in respect to James Doohan.

Excellently written.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Bastet said...

He was the first celebrity i'd met. He was a very sweet man. He shall be missed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home