just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Borders at Midnight

The sixth Harry Potter book became available at midnight. This is the fifth time we've done the midnight thing:

Kiddie A and I went to the local Borders bookstore. The party there started at 9 pm, and we Muggle T-shirtprobably got there around 9:20 - she wanted to be there at 9, but I thought, hey, do we really need to be there for a full three hours? She wore her "Muggle" T-shirt from Hot Topic, I wore my Gryffindor Quidditch T-shirt that I had gotten at the NYC Warner Bros store years ago. It looks like any regular team shirt. I figured there would be a few other adults with Harry Potter attire.

Boy, was I wrong!

There were ALOT of non-kids wearing not just Harry Potter commercially made t-shirts, but young adults and older youth in costume! Mostly these were in what you might think of typical private school garb - white oxford shirt and tie (in the proper Hogwarts House colors, of course) and the girls wore pleated plaid skirts and the boys wore black or dark blue slacks. Add the black robe and you've got a Hogwarts student.

So, we got our numbered tickets to get our two books and took a look at the stations set up around the store. Cute, but definitely geared towards the younger kids. We did pick up an activity packet which amounted to a trivia game, which Kiddie A enjoyed.

There were WAY TOO many people in the store. The cafe was quickly filled with people who parked themselves at the tables. All the other chairs were grabbed and people were either sitting on the floor or wandering around. I wonder what a fire marshall would have said about it.
Kiddie A kept asking me what time it was. Frequently giving little squeals. She could barely contain herself. She had been getting more excited as the days and hours got closer. The store manager did a blow-by-blow "NORAD" annoucement of the Half-Blood Prince's approach to the store (like the Santa reports at Xmas that the TV and radio stations do) as he travelled across the Atlantic towards the East Coast. They also had employees dressed up as various characters wandering around.

Finally midnight arrived and the store started to call out numbers in groups of 25. Our numbers were 155 and 156. The line for the registers quickly got long, so I got in line and told Kiddie to come when she got the books. But then the line moved quickly, and I (and a few other women) had to let others go in front of us to allow time for our book-gathers time to retrieve the books and catch up to us in line. It wasn't too bad, and we were out of the store by 12:15.

Kiddie A started to read the book to me as we drove home, but we're pretty close, so she didn't get a chance to finish the first chapter.

Kiddie B demanded her book almost as soon as I got in the door. She had stayed to have a post-camp shower after watching the Stargate season openers.

So both stayed up to read. I told Kiddie A that I was downstairs (where it's much cooler) watching Stargate and to bring down the book when she was ready to quit for the night - uh - morning. I watched TV until about 2:00 and then I gave up. Soon after I fell asleep she came down with the book, and I mumbled that I was too tired.

BUT THEN at 3 am we had a terrific thunderstorm!! Incredible lightening - woke us all up. Flash after flash, house-shaking rumble after rumble. Heavy, loud rain. So, now that I was awake, I did read a few chapters of the book before tiring enough to sleep again. Not sure how much sleep I really got - not alot. I'm feeling pretty darn wasted at the moment.

The Kiddies need to pack for Band Camp, which starts tomorrow. I've already run one errand this morning to get things they need. I came back to find them reading again - "are you ready?" I asked.

"Uh, I'm not sure."
"Well, how about making sure?"
Grumble grumble

I'm torn. If I let them read, then I have a better chance of one of them finishing (probably Kiddie A) the book before they go and then I'll have it to read for myself ...


11 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

My Other Half called this morning to tell me he was secretly getting it for Saur_kid this morning (we were too tired to go last night). I said, "Forget about him. Get it for me." He spent $60 on a leatherbound edition and got a complimentary leather bookmark with it, too! I was delighted, but didn't really need the fancy version. Just lemme at it!

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Your Dad and I enjoyed this post! *laughing*

I don't imagine that Kiddie A will leave the book home in any case. She'll start re-reading it immediately.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

You're a good mom.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Lila said...

It's funny, dddragon -- Me Wonder Woman Pez and I ran into the same thing at Tatnuck Booksellers. We were there to get a b-day gift for a friend of ours. It hadn't even occurred to us that it would be the whole Harry Potter thing, so we just stumbled into it. It was a ZOO! They really did it up... full costumes, games, you name it. It was PACKED.

I think it's great that kids love these books so much -- it's great that they're THAT excited to buy a book! That is pretty awesome.

I can't remember ANYthing like that in my own childhood. Although, it did occur to me how much things have changed. I mean, all those folks running out to buy the book THE DAY it comes out! I think in our day, they might have made us wait for a birthday or "Santa", but maybe I'm wrong. Just an interesting cultural shift.

Meanwhile, Aved Princess Leia Pez pre-ordered it by mail. It came today. Me Wonder Woman Pez drove it over to her (she's at her dad's place this weekend). What a phenomenon!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

My hubby and daughter went just after midnight and came back with THREE copies of the book. They said LOTS of people were there dressed up and having a blast Potter style. Hubby got pulled over by a cop on the way back to the hotel. I may blog about it some time.
We are a Harry Potter family!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Since when before have millions of children being queuing to read a book?

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Wow - I had no idea it was such a large production. I bought mine via amazon.com. I just love when the little brown box arrives at my doorstep.

My kids are taking turns reading it - the early review is that it's a winner.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Fat chance A will leave it at home.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sounds like you and kid A had a fun evening! I miss those times.

It can also be exhausting, and exhilirating to get caught up in the drama of the moment.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm loving this book!! My kids have already finished reading theirs. I've got to stop blogging and get to reading.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger thc said...

So, have you finished it yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home