just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Famous People I've Never Heard Of

Today I took a catalog order from a nice woman calling from South Carolina. Her street name was odd: Bobo Newsom Highway. I asked "What a name! Who is Bobo Newsom?"

She laughed and said that he was her cousin, who played professional baseball for the Yankees. I have to admit, that's a very good name for a baseball player, don'tyathink?


I'm a very casual baseball watcher and don't know much when it comes to who's on first (eh?). So I asked some of the baseball nuts at work, and most of them said "oh, yeah!". I Googled Bobo - he died a long time ago. Here is his obit. He also played for a number of other teams.

"He was the ultimate journeyman pitcher, playing for nine different teams over the course of his twenty-year career. He came to the Senators and left them on five separate occasions. But he pitched a whale of a game in the 1940 Series finale."



Here is the Baseball Library write-up on him.

Others at work have spoken to famous people or their spouses or managers. I've spoken to a relative of Dr. Virginia Apgar (she created the system by which newborns are evaluated), sold a quilt and shams to a set designer (was supposed to be in Dragonfly with Kevin Costner, but I've never seen it, so I don't know if it got in the movie or not), and the first male host of What Not to Wear (it was before the show was on the air, and I don't remember his name).

I have nothing else to blog about today. Can you tell?

Oh, and it's raining.

12 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

You guys, it's the first day of the rest of the damn year! Cheer up!

Obviously I don't have much to say either. Lucky I only have to post a word a day.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I agree with Acton - it's pretty interesting. I would think you could blog everyday about stupid things customers have said.

I used to be an HR manager for a call center; I was amazed when I listened in on calls with the reps.

You’ve got a tough job – I hope the company appreciates you!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Yeah, that is interesting, actually. Of course, I'm a huge baseball fan...

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

I used to have a stuffed octopus named Bobo. Not that it has anything to do with baseball, or taking orders from famous people. Okay, it was a pitiful excuse to type something!

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I think it's great that you talk to many different people from all over. SC is probably my favorite state! I think Charleston, SC is like a dream! I wonder if that lady was from around there. Hummm. Pretty neat stuff.
I remember the first guy on What Not to Wear. I like the guy that's on there now, better.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Fred and Aral, have you seen this one?

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Thanks, Doug. That's a blog worth reading!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Famous people...6 degrees of separation.

Doug, that is a good site. dddragon, check it out. You'll like it.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I ran into some famous people when I worked at the airport, but they had to take orders from me :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Gee, if you're that bored, look up Amos Alonzo Stagg. He lived, like, forever.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Fred and Tan Lucy, I'm glad you liked it. I don't remember how I found it but it's a riot.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

I've never heard of Bobo either

 

Post a Comment

<< Home