just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, June 30, 2005

New Header (again)

Well, got a little restless ~ so much blog re-working going on 'round here! Was looking thru some old images and found one I still like.

It's not really a dragon, 'tho it certainly has wings that are normally on dragons. That is, bat-type wings. Otherwise, it's a horse. Usually horses are given bird-type wings, and that certainly does make fore a beautiful image. However, it does make more sense that if one mammal - a bat - has a certain kind of wing, then another mammal would have a similiar wing structure.

Usually dragons are pictured as four legged and a pair of wings. Others, sometimes called wyverns, are formed more like birds, with two hind legs and then the leathery wings where the forelimbs would be. Sometimes I've seen these two-legged types with two forelegs and then a pair of wings further back, and a long, strong tail.



And then there's this image, without any legs at all. I used a version of this as my film production logo when I was at CalArts.

I'm not really satisfied with my blog's new header. So y'all may see a new one in a few days.

11 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Cool! I like it!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Ditto to the above three comments. I admire the fact that you're experimenting and trying to find the right look.

I'm not too sure I can figure out how to change the template - maybe someday!

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Komodo Dragons do not have any wings :)

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm liking the changes. Keep them coming because it makes things interesting. I like the one you used as a logo. Its smoothness is really cool. I appreciate your talent. I can barely draw a stick man.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I think these changes are just great and I love the bat-winged horse even if it isn't a dragon. I'm dying to know, though, did I find your old house?

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger thc said...

Tinker, tinker...

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

I really like both the dragon and the winged horse. One thing I've never really been able to figure out is how the skeletal structure would work in such a winged horse or four legged dragon. Would the bone structure for the wings be an extension of the scapula?

I've seen drawings of dragons where the front limbs are bat like with the wings and front legs fused into one dual use limb. That seems to make more sense as far as skeletal/muscular thing goes. What do you think?

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Post that poster that you did for DoodleArt. The one with the horse rising from the sea. It's great. If you don't still have a poster, I have one.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

I've got one around, but it's so darn big. I might photograph parts of it and post that.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

You're good. Change is the nature of creativity.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Goa'uld said...

I love your current header! You're a great artist :D!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home