just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Gettysburg Next Week

not my photo, found with Google image search

Prattoons, of Philly, has posted his reluctance to attend the Live8 event that is coming up this Saturday.

That reminded me of how awful it is in Gettysburg for the Independence Day week.

We did this as a family when I was a teenager. Once was enough. Reenactors everywhere. This means: tents, horses, wagons, cannons booming, actors in authentic wool uniforms sweating and fainting in the heat.

Thousands of out of towners who have no idea of where they are or where they are going. No parking, and not enough restrooms. Gettysburg is a SMALL town. Very nice, scenic, many things to do in and around the town. Just come some other week than the first week of July.

Gettysburg links:
official Convention Center & Tourist Info site
National Park Service site
The local newspaper: The Gettysburg Times
where my granddad is buried: Evergreen Cemetery
Don't forget the GHOSTS!
http://www.hauntedgettysburg.com/
http://www.ghostsofgettysburg.com/




8 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

It took place on July 1, 2, 3 1863. The observance usually lasts much longer in Gettysburg. In fact, there are reenactors there several times a year. Haven't paid much attention to why they're there other times.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Re-enactors are fun, aren't they. I remember them from my Georgia years. They seem able to find cheap beer in 24-packs.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Fred said...

My parents used to drag me to Renaissance fairs every year for their reenactments. Now that I teach the subject, I'm kind of glad they did, but I hated it at he time.

I've never been to Gettysburg, but if I ever teach U.S. history; I might have to go there.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Ewww! Stinky people wearing wool in July! I bet it is fascinating though. Lots of people watching to do!

Thanks for the advice, I'll avoid the first week in July!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Lila said...

I can barely remember that, but I do vaguely. I liked Devil's Den, with the cool rocks.

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Sounds like Disney World in the summer.

By the way, am I the only one here who saw the South Park Civil War re-enactment episode? Where Cartman plays General Lee and decides to not loose? It was a funny episode.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

The reason they have re-enactments other times of the year is to get Lincoln to come, you know, like on money.
And watching South Park is like getting drunk by soaking a tampon in beer and then sticking it in your butt.
We like your new dragon icon. We had put some animated dragons on speakicyspeak.blogspot a while back. I noticed that some people have moving icons in comment box.
I visit you every day even if I don't always comment.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Tom, I like South Park but your description is too funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home