just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Darnest Luck

Whine ahead - break out the cheese:

As our luck would have it ~ and I mean that our luck would NOT have it any other way ~ our air conditioning is out. Actually, it's the heat pump that died. (I've always thought it was funny that a "heat pump" provides "air conditioning".)

Luckily, we had just recently taken out a home improvement loan to finally do some things around the house and to pay off some bills. So, we'll have money to pay for a completely new system (the old one is old enough that replacement parts can't be found). Unluckily, we won't have money left over to do those other home improvements because the new system is really, really gonna cost alot.

As our bad luck continues ~ it's been pretty darn hot and humid here. Yesterday was in the 90's all day (96 at one point). Today was below 90, but the humidity was high enough to make it seem like it's hotter.

The serviceman initially thought he wouldn't be able to install it until Monday or Tuesday. Drat that bad luck! But then he called to say that it looked like his schedule for Friday (tomorrow) would allow for him to come. He just had to make sure that all the parts were available. What good luck!!

But, alas, our good luck was short-lived. He called back. Turns out that a major component wasn't in their warehouse because - get this - the truck was highjacked in Kentucky. So, it'll be at least Monday or Tuesday after all! So, if our bad luck holds, it'll be hot and humid again all weekend.

My BIL has lent us an old window AC unit, so at least one room in the house is cool. If it gets bad, we'll break out the sleeping bags and camp out downstairs.

Well, now it's rumbling. The thunderstorms have finally arrived. With our luck, the electricity will go, too! LOL

11 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Fortunately, you will eventually get AC again. Unfortunately, it will cost $$. Sounds almost like real life.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Welcome to our Florida weather. It's nice we could share it with you. Now, please don't share your nasty January weather with us.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Awww. Don't sweat it. oh. sorry.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Ditto to what Fred said.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Lila said...

I haven't had central air conditioning since I left Tan Lucy Pez and Niks Brainy Smurf Pez's nest, actually. I've gotten used to fans and just being hot all summer.

But once you have AC, I know you get used to it. Hope it's fixed soon!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

If it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't be having any luck at all. Take heart for small victories.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

REAL life? Arrgh! When did that happen?

Aral, I don't know how you put up with it. Is it better in Mass. than in Penna? I suspect not. You're my hero for putting up with it.

Now we need to have mom tell us a story about how she survived the heat and humidity in Memphis as a teenager. Ironing hair!! LOL

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I **HATE** it when the AC dies.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Mass. is not so different from Pa. in the summer, especially inland a bit where I am. But you really do get used to it -- eventually. It took me a few years, though! Now central air sometimes bothers my contact lenses.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Aral's right. You get used to it either way. When I was in college (at the tender age of, oh 26) I got my first apartment with AC. I told my roommate before moving in that I didn't want to use it. We were sweating carrying stuff in and he suggested we just turn it on while we were moving and then not use it again. It wasn't turned off for five month. 11 years later and I get instantly grouchy when it doesn't work.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Goa'uld said...

Darn...and I was looking forward to AC when I got home from Girl Scout camp...my room currently feels like my tent did the night before...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home