just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, August 07, 2005

My Brother

Nevik with Tok'raNevik with Goa'uld











Flashback, 1991: We had the family over for Goa'uld and Tok'ra's first birthday. My brother, Nivek, was drinking a beer and Tok'ra was interested in it. Nivek asked if he could let her have a sip, to which I said "sure, but she isn't going to like it."

From the kitchen, my
mother called out, "Oh, yes they will! Babies like beer!"

Sure enough, after one sip, Tok'ra was reaching for more! Nivek got a big laugh out of it, as did I, but my DH wasn't amused. I can still hear Nivek chortling over a baby liking beer.

Eighteen days later, Nivek was dead.

Bright and sensitive, he had long been plagued with depression. On the evening of August 6, 1991, in his room at home with Pink Floyd playing, he decided that he could go no further and he ended his life. We'll never know what finally pushed him to do it. Flown by helicopter to Hershey Medical Center, he was kept on life support for awhile, but the damage had been done. On August 7 he died, age 26. Some of his organs were donated to others. Ironically, Nivek was agnostic; his heart went to a minister.

I still miss Nivek terribly. Every time I see things that he liked (Three Stooges, Benny Hill, the Blues Brothers and more) I am reminded of him. I am still confronted by things I would have bought as gifts for him. Sometimes I am angry at Nivek, because my daughters will never know him. But I have to remember that life was painful to him. It was his decision.





He suffers no more the cruelty of the world; he cannot be hurt. He will never grow old, bald or ill.

Nivek is forever young.

10 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I have no idea what this would be like. It's so sad.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Dddragon, since I met the Pezes I've wondered why "Nivek Army Ranger Pez" was never heard from." I'm awfully sorry for all of you and him. Depression is a terrible disease and he had such a bright and close family.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Well written, Dddragon. It is so sad when a person reaches the point in their life when they see no purpose. Naturally, it has affected you deeply.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger the many Bs said...

I'm so sorry dddrangon. It has to be heartbreaking to lose your brother.
peg(schnoodlepooh)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I lost my little brother in July 2000. He was 24.

The difference is that he did not kill himself, he was killed by some drug company that decided not to screen the blood supply in the 1980s. He had hemophilia (a bleeding disorder) and contracted HIV at age 8 or 9 from tainted medicine. He got the same batch of medicine as Ricky Ray did.

It is now 2005. Five years and a few weeks have passed.

But you are right about one thing. The last lines you wrote. Your brother's pain was emotional - my bother's pain was physical.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Well done.
Mom

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Thank for sharing the story and the pictures. I'm sure you and all the other family members wonder every day what could have been.

He is also forever remembered.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

My heart aches for you and your family and may his memory live on forever for you all.

Today, I have a post up about those suffering from mental illness and its seriousness in society. As a strong advocate, I know and understand how serious depression can be debilitating and wreck havoc on the entire family.

Peace and strength to you all.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

His pain was too much. Depression is such an awful thing. I wish he were there for your girls to know him too. So sorry for your family's loss. Time may help, but I know from personal experience that it doesn't completely heal.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Having insomnia here...

Yeah, I see stuff to buy him too. Of course, he usually didn't like gifts that weren't "on the list". That Nivek!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home