just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Life is Interesting

Life is always interesting ~ and certainly more interesting for some than others.

Yesterday I spoke with a woman from Alabama who must live a really interesting life. And it ain't gonna get boring for quite a while. When her daughter was four, this woman gave birth to quintuplets. And to make it even more interesting, there was another little surprise three years later. Yup. Three pregnancies = seven children.

And yet she seemed all together. I've met others of her ilk, mostly the triplet moms that I know. Perfect makeup, hair and nails. Calm, great company and fun to be with. Normally, you'd think that they'd be hated for their perfection, but somehow you just can't bring yourself to feel that way.

They had just gotten back from a trip to Williamsburg, VA. A family of nine driving all that way. She said that there challenges. Can you imagine going to a restaurant and asking for a table for nine? Taking seven young children to the breakfast buffet in the lobby? They stayed at a rented condo so that they'd have a kitchen to use for their large brood.

Naturally, there are the downsides to having multiples. We've experienced this to a small degree ~ it hurts a little when one child gets invited and the other doesn't. A parent compensates. But it can get difficult. I have a triplet mom friend whose triplets are made up of identical girls and a fraternal boy. The girls got invited out all the time, but the boy was usually not included. This Alabama mom had this problem in a much larger sense. Naturally, there aren't too many other parents who can or will invite five kids to her singleton's house for a playdate or party. Logistically, it just won't happen very often.

I can't imagine how this family is going to send so many kids to college - but this woman inspired me to think that somehow, some way they would come up with some solution. She obviously loved them all and wouldn't trade any of them in for anything.

13 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

At times I feel overwhelmed with my one child, I can't imagine the kind of inner strength it takes to guide that many little minds into adulthood. I have immense amounts of respect for people who can do it!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Seven kids! I don't know how people do it.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yeah, it really seems strange how some Moms become attached to their kids. I guess it takes all kinds...

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Funny, Hoss. My twin dogs are about the max for me.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Dddragon, I just looked up Baal in Wikipedia because I wondered if a4g's translation was real or not. Baal (Stargate) is listed. Just thought I'd share.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Amazing story. Better her than me.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

That is my worst nightmare. How can you afford anything? Scratch the vacation to Disney, even with my FL resident discounts it would be several thousand dollars for a few days. Flying someplace? BZZZZZ. Not going to happen. Your only options for a car would be something rather large, so even a road trip would not be cheap.

Even a simple "lets eat out tonight" idea would run into a few hundred dollars.

Then you need shoes and clothes for 9. And food for 9. And a house for 9. If each kid and the parents are going to have their own room you would need an 8 bedroom house. In Miami, that kind of place would run into well over 1 million.

I would have opted for "the snip" before the third surprise.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That's too much to even imagine. Life would be like an amusement ride that never stops. It would be difficult to ever leave the house. And the laundry!!!

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

I had eight in one litter, woof!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Seven children...the house must be bedlam.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I have three kids and it was always a handful. I can't imagine having seven.

We made sure we'd have no more than three, too. We clipped a bit here, and clipped a bit there, so Mother Nature wouldn't surprise us with any more!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger the many Bs said...

I have 5 birds and 2 dogs and even that is too much for me. Seven kids - eeekkkk.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Did you see what your Mom did today (Wednesday)? Ho ho.

Tan Lucy 1, dddragon 0.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home