just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Sewer Excitement



For some time now we've been experiencing some problems with our toilets. It's gotten so we've been using the plunger at least once a day. I've been meaning to get another plunger, just so that we can have an upstairs plunger and a downstairs plunger.

Luckily, a couple of years ago we took our water company's offer to buy water line and sewer line insurance. We knew we were due for trouble - our neighborhood was built in the late 1940s and almost every other house has had to have their sewer line dug up. Most of the other houses used to have a tree or two in the front yard that were cut down because of root problems. (The newish neighbor across the street planted a willow tree in his front yard, which is supposed to be the worst thing to plant on a residential property with lines of any sort.)

So, the plumber guys came and rotored the sewer, ran a video down, and saw a blockage. Well, DUH.

As you can see from the photo above, our sewer line (the green line) goes right under one of our trees. Blue is the water line, yellow is gas. White marks where they anticipate digging. BTW, what looks like writing in white IS writing - Ted the plumber called the borough about getting permission to dig, and he didn't have pen and paper on hand, so he spray painted a phone number on our lawn.

The plumber guys left around noon - without telling me. I didn't know if they had gone to lunch, to take care of the permit from the borough, or what. Waited and waited. Did some stuff around the house, but was afraid to go on any errands. Mom and Dad came by; my van was at the shop and I had one of the parental cars. Mom drove me to get the van while Dad stayed at the house. Came back. Waited some more. Geeesh, where are these guys and what are they doing? Finally I called around 2:30 and was told that they were coming to dig up the yard and would be here in half an hour. After another hour I called again. Ted came back to explain that the equipment was coming from Hershey (about 15 miles away) and that they would get this done today. Really? It's going on 4:00.

So, these younger guys with the digger-thing show up. The weather here is pretty windy from the Katrina effect. They don't particularly look happy to be starting a job this late in the day, but the boss has told them to do it.



The hole is ... let me go check {runs to look out the front door} ... oooowheeee! it's close to five feet deep, but the excitement builds -- they've broken into the water line! I missed the mini-geyser, but my neighbors, who have been watching, told me all about it.

Well, the water's off for sure, now. DH has arrived with McD's for dinner, and the Kids have orchestra practice at my church.

Later, y'all

Oh, btw, in case you haven't already noticed, I'm Doug's guest today. just sayin'

5 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Oh joy! I hope you took a shower before they cut the water line! Enjoy your quarter pounder!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger mireille said...

yeah, I was gonna ask: does this mean the toilet doesn't work? Kind of removes the need for that additional plunger, doesn't it? seriously, I take having an onsite toilet or two VERY seriously. Hope yours are back soon. xoxo

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Any excuse to have McDonald's for dinner, huh? :)

Hope it all works out. (Was that a pun?)

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Geez. Good times. Man, some people have insurance for everything! Like that

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I noticed. Nice job over there.

I'd like to see a race between city workers and contractors. I'd bring a good book of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home