just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Confession

I have to confess that for some time now, I have been driving without a working speedometer.

Yup. No idea how fast I was going. Scary, eh? Especially for someone who normally has a lead foot.

I don't know how or why (and I'm sure someone will tell me), when I tried to start my van, there was a loud, odd noise. And the van wouldn't start. Had to jump it. That's when I discovered that the needle on the speedometer had flipped all the way over to the wrong side of the pin. It couldn't go up and show me how fast I was going.

Hmmm. How much would it be to fix? Well, my hubby's car needed brake work, and other things had to be paid for first.

I was just going to have to be careful. I tried hard to remember to not to be the fastest vehicle on the road. That was hard when there wasn't anyone else to compare myself to. When we went up to Scranton last weekend, I had a "pace car" for most of the trip, and I did moan out loud when she finally pulled off the highway. (Scranton is more than two hours away.)

My dear ol' hubby is very good at finding technical solutions for our computers - he either already knows the answer or he knows someone who does. He is also good at finding answers on the internet. I frequently don't have the patience to look thru so many dumb sites to find what the solution might be.

Yesterday Nod calls from work to have me try something - to simply push the tripometer stem in and hold it in. I did. All the display lights came on after one minute - all the digital displays started to flash all kinds of things. AND THE NEEDLE ON THE SPEEDOMETER CREPT BACK OVER!!

Can you bet that? Didn't have to spend $$ to have someone take apart the console and flip it over. Or maybe the dealership would've known that push-the-stem-thing.

My Nod. What a guy.

Handy to have around. I guess I'll keep him.

11 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

That is smart. I wonder if it would work on my '51 binder?
You know, when I was in High School my dad told me "If you need the spedometer to tell you you need to slow down, then you need to slow down.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Sar said...

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Clearly we now know why that rabbit jumped in front of your car and hopped along in front of you down the middle of the road - nature's speedomoter!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

The dealership would never 'know' Nod's little trick. Nope, the only tricks they know are $200 and up.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Wow. I'm impressed! I can tell you right now that when you take a car to the dealer to fix the odometer, it costs BIG bucks.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Even if the dealership would have known to just push that button and hold, they would have charged you a hundred bucks for labor. Your hubby saved you some money. He deserves all this praise. Way to go!!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

A great saving there; usually a lot of money has to be spent.

Be sure to see my Enterprise party invite to find our how you can join.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

You can always tell someone who's sincerely reformed because they leave the confession up.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Yeah, it's great when you figure out how to fix somethin' yourself, isn't it?

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Hooray for Nod! You are a wild woman to drive around without a speedometer!

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger mireille said...

woohoo! You're legal again! xoxo

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Good call. Anyone that can fix that problem should be kept around. I would have still been driving with it broken for many years...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home