just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Old Photo Sunday I



For no particular reason, here's a photo dated December 12, 1912. To the left is my dad's dad. I think the other guy is cousin George, but I've forgotten now.

Niks' dad was a Rev. Dr. who ended up as a college president down in North Carolina. In fact, Niks was born at the college and is pictured in one of the yearbooks as the unofficial class mascot for that year. Unfortunately, Granddad died at age 39 ~ my dad was about two years old, so he never knew his own dad. He grew up hearing ALL about him - I think Grandma used the Specter of Father liberally as she raised four sons by herself.



This photo isn't from a direct ancestor. It reads

Ann Catharine
consort of
Rev. Jacob Geiger (...etc.)

(Jacob is the sibling of a direct ancestor.) Anyway - this stone is in a church cemetery in Maryland, just over the Pennsylvania line. I'm drawing a blank as to the town name (darn migraine), but it's a Reformed church. All my ancestors on dad's side are German.

I find it really, really amusing that a Reverend has a Consort buried next to him next to a church. But I gather that Rev. Geiger was rather progressive:


"Notwithstanding the fact that Dr. McManus rightfully laid claim to pioneership in the practice of homœopathy in Maryland, his honor in that respect must be shared with Rev. Jacob Geiger, a Maryland pastor of German extraction and Pennsylvania parentage and birth, who had frequently been brought under the beneficent teachings of Allentown Academy and thus acquired a fair understanding of the principles of Hahnemann's school of medicine. In 1836, contemporary with Dr. McManus, Rev. Geiger took up the practice of medicine in connection with the pastoral charge of his flock, and continued both until the time of his death in 1848. This allusion to Pastor Geiger's medical endeavors is important when it is mentioned that nine of his descendants were graduates of homœopathic colleges and practitioners of medicine.

....Rev. Jacob Geiger introduced homœopathy in Carroll county in 1836,... "

Just to be clear - the cemetery is full of stones that read "wife of" and "husband of". This is the only stone that I saw that had "consort of" engraved in stone.

11 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger TLP said...

No, that's your great-uncle Roy on the right. Your grandfather's brother. You should write that on the back of the photo. The day will come when no one is around to tell you who's who.

Consort? Shame! On Nik's side of the family! Gasp! Grandma would have that stone sanded off. Wait, is this Niks'dad side or his mom's side of the family?

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Lila said...

"Consort of", engraved in stone! My! That is shocking.

I wonder if there are any headstones with "lesbo-licious lover of" engraved on them...

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Very interesting. I adore cemetaries. Weird, but true. They're poignant little history lessons.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Aral, I had a similar thought, that "Consort" is a previous incarnation of "Co-parent"

Really cool, Dddragon. Family history is fascinating and I admire your commitment to it. I hope your migraine subsides. Did you try homeopathy? Maybe put your scedule into a gallon of water and drink it.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Fascinating gravestone. 'Consort of' is very original.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger the many Bs said...

"consort of" - how funny! Those are great photos. I LOVE old pictures. It doesn't matter who is in them.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Love the old photo. I wish I had some of my family. Consort? That must have been scandalous back then.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Minka said...

hey dddragon...if we go far enough back, we might have linked family ties ;) on your father´s side of course!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Lolita said...

Hope your migraine went away quickly...

Interesting to see that, in the end, we are "only" husband and wives...

By the way, what is life like with teenage twins? Mine are 3 years old - one gets up at 5AM. I'm afraid by the time we finally sleep in a little later in the morning, we'll be up late wondering what they're up to...

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i love old sepia-tone photographs. very charming :))

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger mireille said...

Inspired by your post, I have informed dh that forthwith, I shall be known as his Consort. Capital C. That rhymes with me ... his Consort. Be sure to spell it right on the tombstone. ♥ xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home