just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Monday, September 19, 2005

Lighthouse Challenges

I married a man who became a Lighthouse Nut. Most of our trips, Before Children, were travels to lighthouses. I've been to around 100 - I stopped counting when I got to the 80s. DH has been to more.

Six years ago the New Jersey Lighthouse Society started a Lighthouse Challenge. A few years ago the Chesapeake (MD) Bay Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society started their own. And this year the Long Island USLS has their first Challenge.

What is a Lighthouse Challenge? The Societies set up a list of land-based lighthouses and participants have the weekend to get to them all. When you get to one you get a stamp on the paper or book provided. This year the Maryland group gave out wooden coins, each with the lighthouse's image stamped on it. If you finished all six then you got a bigger wooden coin that stated you "Saw Them All"

Yesterday, shortly before 3 pm, he asked out of the blue if I wanted to go to Havre de Grace. The Cove Point Lighthouse is there (where the Susquehanna River officially ends) and it's about 2 hours away. So away we went. Spent about an hour and a half to get there, 15 or 20 minutes at the lighthouse, then went to have a seafood dinner.


Cove Point Lighthouse

Because our town now has an arts'n'craft festival on the same weekend, my DH has missed the MD Challenge (but he did it in earlier years). He plans on doing the new Long Island Challenge this year. He'll probably miss the NJ Challenge because of our Kid's Band appearances.

Plaque for end of Susquehanna River to the Chesapeake Bay Cannon used in battle w/ John O'Neill

16 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I once slept under the lighthouse at South Head, Sidney, Australia. I bet Nod thinks I'm pretty cool now, huh?

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Better they should give out coupons for 5 gallons of gas.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Hoss: I was actually able to get gas for $2.79 down there! A friend had paid $5.00 a gallon in the D.C. area not long ago (D.C. is also about 2 hours south of us)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

We have never seen a real light house in person. As I grow older, I begin to realize so many things I've missed out on in this life. It's kind of sad in a way.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Tom, there are a bunch of lighthouses in Ohio on Lake Erie. Time for a trip!!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Hey Doug, I think you're cool! 'Course, I already thought that you were cool, but now I see you're even cooler than cool.

Nice pix ddd.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Thanks, TLP. You rock.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I grew up on Long Island, and Dad would drag us out to Montauk Point every so often for a fun day looking at lighthouses and hanging around on the beach. DH should have a good time if he goes up there.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Lighthouses are totally wonderful! When we travel, we try to visit them as well, since they speak of people and history.

Sounds like you have a nice man there!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Sounds like a fun spontaneous trip!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger mireille said...

yes, romantic. lighthouses rank up there with widows' walks for mystery and wondering what they've seen. cool. zockso.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Get out! My Other Half is a lighthouse nut too! We have some nice ones here in Florida. But I'm not telling him about the Challenge or I'll be dragged all over the country.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I think that is a great hobby. I'm sure you've seen some really beautiful ones in beautiful settings.
I've seen home decor with lighthouse lamps, pictures, coasters, etc.... Do you have a lighthouse room?

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

As a "mariner" I use lighthouses when I am out on the water.

The land based lights are not as important as they used to be, but I think the Cape Florida light still blinks. The unattended lights in the water are still very important. They protect the reefs. If you see a red light, you are in the danger zone. White light means you are ok.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger thc said...

Interesting hobby. It could be lots worse, anyway.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

yup, thc, it can be worse. it used to be covered bridges!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home