just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Needles

Our senior cat, Chatham, hasn't been doing well lately. He's been taking liver pills for many years now, and occasionally has urinary tract infection. The latter can kill a cat pretty quickly. This time the infection isn't clearing up very much, and now the things that the Vet measures in his liver and kidneys are up too high. He hasn't been eating - sometimes he's interested but nauseated and other times he's just not interested. He's not always emptying his bladder and not drinking enough water.

Soooo ... he got to have his bladder emptied by the Vet (oh, fun) and was rehydrated recently. He was noticeably better the day after, but then the next day was off again. So DH and I went in to learn how to "give him fluids" - i.e. stick a needle under the skin and drip fluid in.

I get to do it, because DH doesn't like needles. Who does? (Don't answer that.) The Vet promptly said to me "why is it always the men who don't like needles?"

It wasn't has hard or awful as I thought it would be. So I'll be doing this for the next ten days, every day. After that we may go to every other day.

If you are interested in how to do this, this website explains the process.

8 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Poor kitty. Men seem squimish about medical stuff. We women are the stronger sex in this area, for sure.
Hope your cat gets better.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I have had senior citizen cats, with their liver pills and whatnot.

But they are all gone now. All my current cats are rather young. This means that in time I will have 4 senior citizen cats. It will be like a cat nursing home here. But that will not be for a long time.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I am a man. Therefore I am entitled to not have any interest in this. Thank God.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Poor kitty! I hope the needles aren't too painful, for either of you.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oo sorry to hear that. and happy to know you are taking such good care of your cat

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Aw. Poor kitty. I would do the same thing for him (and why is it that men don't like needles???)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Poor Chatham. Good momma.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Goa'uld said...

I don't like needles...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home