just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The results are in

A while back I went to a sleep clinic to see why I always wake up tired and wake up so much during the night. Yesterday I had my follow-up appointment. Good news is that I don't have respiratory or heart problems that can lead to sleep apnea.

Bad news is that I am indeed sleep deprived.

After spending the night at the clinic, they had me stay for the next day, too. I was directed to take naps several times during the day. I fell asleep quickly during the morning nap times and that's not normal. So the doctor and I discussed my routine (and that of my family). I am simply not getting enough sleep - usually six or fewer hours.

We discussed strategies. He wants me to go to bed by 10:30 pm. I told him that even if I were to go to bed then, the house is too noisy for me to get to sleep (loud voices, trombone playing, doors pushed shut instead of handles turned to ease the closing, etc.) He recommended that I get the ear plugs that gun owners use (and they do help, as it turns out).

Also, I need to sit down (not in the bedroom) beforehand and make a list of things to do and think about for the next day to avoid that "racing brain" that I get once I'm in bed. I am going to keep a sleep diary for a while and we can reevaluate the situation later on.

There is a possibility that I simply have a "sleepy" brain - he said that some families have this problem and not a lot is known about it. Also, head trauma could cause it and it doesn't have to be something big like a car accident, either (mom, remember when that boy threw a brick at me when we lived in La Puente? I remember coming to on the ground and Tommy and Fletcher running off after him.) We'll see. Most likely it'll simply be that my routine and environment needs adjusting.


My other test result was the first exam for the Education course that I'm taking. I got the highest score in the class ~ 98. I missed one multiple choice question and perfect score on the essay questions. (Naturally, after looking at the one I missed I had to say "duh" to myself.) The funny and sad thing is that the class is full of young people who say they want to be teachers, and I'm "just" taking this for self-betterment.

The other essay answers must've been pretty sad - the Prof wrote a nice note on mine, but during class he said that there were alot of people who didn't back up their statements - which was specifically asked for in the instructions.

Well, I've a list of errands to run, so I'm off now.

8 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

There's trombone playing at 10:30? How are the gun control laws in your town?

Much sympathy, by the way. I've had trouble sleeping all my life and can probably remember all the times I slept six or more hours.

My verifier is "pozmnwky" I love that.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You are bothered by a prescription that says "Get more sleep"? 10/9ths of us would love it.

About your grade: You aren't surprised, are you? Anybody who has graduated from the School of Hard Knocks will always do better than people Who Are Not Dry Behind the Ears.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

A brick to the head??!!! I guess that could cause some damage that has gone undetected.
The racing brain thing drives me nuts. I rarely have any trouble sleeping, so I can't feel your pain on this one, but whenever I do have a restless night, it is because my brain won't turn off. I'm glad this doesn't happen often.
I wish you many good nights of sound sleep. Tell your family to BE QUIET!

The pic above is SUPER FUNNY!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I should go to a sleep clinic. I could totally screw with them. I can fall asleep anytime, anyplace, and for any reason. My minor was in sleeping during Business Law and Marketing class!

I even fell asleep on a Greyhound bus, surrounded by scuzzy / crazy people.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger TLP said...

You know, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't have ever thought about that brick-to-the-head thing. I remember it happening now that you bring it up, but I never would have otherwise. Sad. Bad Mother.

You know, those girls shouldn't be up at 10:30 either. They don't get enough sleep.

I never doubted that you would ace the class.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Yeah, good job on the test, and no surprise!

TLP... no one under 40 goes to bed before 11, do they???

When I was in high school, I was up 'til midnight all the time... HOWEVER, trombone playing could be done earlier in the evening -- could even be the rule! Yeah?

Good luck gettin' more sleep!

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

My dogs can sleep anytime except at night when it is dark and very quiet and when I am trying to go to sleep. It is then they pace around and chew on stuff and growl and bark. I think they get scared when I go to sleep and feel insecure. They feel safe and can doze easily when I am up.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I'm generally sleep-deprived too. Mon-Fri 4-5 hours a night. The ear plugs do help, but can't use them when I need to hear the alarm clock. Reading in bed helps me get sleepy and gets my mind off myself so I'm not just laying there thinking about all the days activities and the stuff I need to do. Also I take 2 antihistimines every night. Those help. zzzzzzzz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home