just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pennsylvania on my mind

Still Life went to Indiana University, I learned. In Indiana, I'm guessing, tho' the first thing that popped into my head was the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I didn't realize that I had finally gotten used to the name, I always thought it was weird. There is also a California University of PA. Naturally, both in towns of those names. Unfortunately, the town of Mars (near Pittsburgh) does not, because I think that would be just too much fun to miss!

Rocks are big in Pennsylvania:

And I think that just about every governor of Pennsylvania has a town, county or state park named after him. Lake Pinchot was named after Gifford Pinchot. We have a telegram from Pinchot to Niks's dad that says (well, it doesn't say anything, you have to read it) that it was great to see you again, the next time you come up, we should go fishing. Pinchot and Teddy Roosevelt were friends and both helped establish national forests.

Here's a trivial note: President Dwight Eisenhower's brother Milton was a President of Penn State. HA! and my girls have performed at the Milton Eisenhower Auditorium there.

Well, time to get my kids to school. later, y'all!

14 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Pennsylvania's weird. I love it. But it's weird.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Sar said...

Do you have colorful foliage yet? Aside from (select - haha) family & friends, it's the thing I miss the most about the northeast. Here in the Richmond area, there is generally a potential for some semblence of fall, but not thus far. Here it is, the first week in October and it's been in the '80s. The leaves are green or crunchy brown dead (it was a wickedly hot summer here). Fall is my favorite season, and I miss it. So can I vicariously enjoy your fall & foliage? :)

And on another note, I'll never understand how a man wound up let alone kept the name Dick Butkus.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Hey, everybody! The dragon is over here name-dropping before she takes her kids off to school in Blue Ball.

(Your timing is odd/exquisite. I have already drafted a piece for tomorrow about some Oregon place names.)

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger dddragon said...

Sar, we had a warm September, so the trees are mostly still green. Our boro had announced that leaf collection starts next Monday - I don't think that there will be much to collect!!

We can rake the leaves out to the curb and the boro's mulching vacuum truck sweeps it up and takes it to the compost pile, which we can all use in the spring. It's a BIG compost pile.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Meegan said...

I'm all about a university in Mars!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

My brother in law's going to law school at Pennsylvania. He enjoys telling people where he's going, waiting for them to say Penn State and say "Not Penn State, Pennsylvania."

There is a difference.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

jon - which law school? And people outside of PA get Penn State and Penn mixed up. Penn is the University of Pennsylvania, in Philly. Penn State is in the geographic center of the state.

One of my teachers used to joke about PSU being "State Pen". In fact, when Police Squad (Leslie Nielsen) was on TV, there were convicts with overalls that said Penn State on one side and State Penn on the other.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That's a lot of Rocks.
In PA, fun is just a "stone's" throw away.

Ugh! That was corny!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Fred said...

And, let's not forget about Slippery Rock, too. Another of Pennsylvania's outstanding colleges!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

My grandfather lived in Penn before he moved to Ky. He was an electrition that wired lights in the mines. I often wonder if he voted for Teddy Roosevelt.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Don't leave out Miami University in Ohio.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Okay, I'm not good at this. So is that 3° of separation between the twins and Eisenhower?

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Pa. has some weird place names, that's for sure.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

We have a Table Rock here in North Carolina as well...and a Blowing Rock...and a Chimney Rock. Like your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home