just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Friday, January 20, 2006

Floods and Explosions

I don't sleep well when I'm congested. Never have. And my post-nasal drip is a flood. Didja know that I can spit a good gob ten feet? Yup.

If I've been lying awake for more than half an hour, I go downstairs and turn on the TV. That usually can do the trick, unless there's something interesting on (yeah, yeah, I know . . .).

I came across Barry Williams (Greg from the Brady Bunch) selling "70s Music Explosion". Man, I love those songs. Even tho' the commercial - which was one of those half hour jobs - only played a couple of lines from each song, I was hooked.

One of those songs is America's Horse With No Name. When I was in sixth or seventh grade, living in San Dimas, CA, a local radio station had a contest to promote this song. Whoever came up with the best name for a horse would WIN a horse. I sent in a TON of entries. Can't remember a single one! Should have kept that list, it would have been funny to see now. Anyway, this song is quoted in today's Doonesbury comic:



If you haven't been following the strip, Jimmy Thudpucker, a rocker from thirty years ago, has now done an album of "standards." Mark, a DJ, can't quite believe it. He's been interviewing "James" this week. Click on the comic to get a bigger view.

13 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Only a member of The Brady Bunch would be selling 70's albums!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Minka said...

"I can spit a good gob ten feet"...too much information :)
Seriously,w hen it comes to spit, i am surprisingly squeemish. In TITANIC when Leo and Kate practice this fine sport, I have to turn around or else I´ll vomit. Can´t handle it...weird!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Sar said...

I gotta go with Monika on this one. Though it's kind of ironic considering I'm still recovering from her Icelandic unique delicacies post. ;)

Hurry up and feel better soon so you actually enjoy your time off this weekend, 3D. :)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger TLP said...

First paragraph: TWO MUCH INFORMATION. Please.

I remember how much you like Horse With No Name, and how even your Dad knew what that song was about. But you were too young (I think) to understand it.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

TLP, it's not about a horse? What about Wildire? Is that about a horse?

Feel better, Dddragon!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Um, that was supposed to be Wildfire. And great point, Sar. After regaling us with eyeball-sucking-out is a funny time to get squeamish.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Who needs to buy albums from the TV when you have the internet!

WinMX was my friend, but that site seems to be down. So I use Lime Wire now.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Wow, poor thing... you must have been awfully sick to be entertained by a Barry Williams infomercial! I hope you're feeling better now.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Got a bit nervous here when I heard the word flood...

Hope you feel better...

Sometimes those late night shows at 3am are the best. For me, it is morning, since I often wake up early (even at 3am).

Feel better.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

phlegm! TMI! *gag*

I'm more a Bloom County gal, myself.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger TLP said...

I respectfully request that you write a new post so that I don't keep coming back here to that first sentence. *pleading*

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger tlm said...

I can empathize with you, 3D. You should see some of the colorful things I've been coughing up this week! Some are quite pretty, actually.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Personally I don't mind a little phlegm talk, but oh well. As far as the Barry Williams endorsement for the 70s music, do you know how many times I've almost ordered that CD set... I only balk at that price.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home