just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Peregrine Falcons


Every Spring in Harrisburg, many people watch for the return of a pair of Peregrine Falcons. They nest on a ledge of the Rachel Carson building.

I frequently watched last year, as eggs appeared and then hatched. Children come to witness the weighing, measuring and banding of the fledglings. People express their concerns on the FalconCam Message Board when they don't see one of the youngsters for a while, or see something that worries them. Last year one of the young falcons got sick and died, despite being caught and treated (he had gotten some sort of illness that was probably from a pigeon he had eaten).

At the moment there are two eggs - they weren't there a couple of days ago. A third might come along soon. You can check out the webpage here. The FalconCam refreshes with a new view every two minutes. There are also informational links. If you go to the FalconCam Message Board page, you will find links to other FalconCams around the world.

In other news, the word is out that my sister AP3 is LBOS. That's one mystery solved for the Blogging World. Now there is another . . . Who is this Detective Poirot that was investigating LBOS's demise?!

btw, this is my 350th posting. Everyone have a cupcake on me!

11 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Dorene Lorenz said...

Glad you enjoyed my post, c'mon by and visit anytime. Can you get me a falcon egg? I am wondering if Miss Cuba would sit to hatch it.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Karen said...

'k, I'll sit back and enjoy my cupcake as I watch the FalconCam.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Cool falcon!

Yeah, I'm stumped on Poirot.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Was she REALLY LBOS?
How very cool!!
Too smart and witty!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Sar said...

I still can't believe it was AP3!!! Seriously, when I think back on the Soapy's comments I can't wrap my head around AP3 being behind them. I'll have to check out this Detective Poirot. You guys are so creative.

Congrats on the 350th post - that's big time! But if you don't mind, I'd prefer to have my cupcake with rather than on you, 3D. ;)

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Yesrie said...

"They nest on a ledge of the Rachel Carson building."

There are no coincidences :>
Yez

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

You know, on further reflection it should have been obvious that LBOS stood for Aral. So sad that Soapy had to die before I got it.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Indeterminacy said...

Hi DDDragon. Just wanted to let you know I reposted your story contribution at indeterminacies. Thanks again! You probably know I like the short, elegant stories best. They do what I almost never seem able to (keep it really short and clever).

The blogosphere is full of mysteries. Unless I'm mistaken, Poirot posted a comment at his headquarters that he's solved the crime! I dont think this was there yesterday:
the last comment

p.s. congratulations on the big 350! I always heard that Dragons lived a long time. I had an Amerikaner for lunch, a German thing, something like a UFO-shaped cupcake. This is one.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger TLP said...

I'm not eatin' offa you. Just sayin'. I'll use a plate.

As you know I used to work very near the falcons. I always knew that pigeons were just rats with wings. Wouldn't wanta eat one.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Trucker Pete said...

A cupcake on you? Alright, but I hope you just had a shower ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home