just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Audited

Nod and I have had a husband-wife photography-art business partnership for almost 20 years. Every year, Nod worries over the tax forms, the rules, what to do and what not to do. He's a bear every year about it (this year he has made a den in the basement for himself).

Well, the dreaded IRS notice of an Audit came yesterday. Nod freaked. They said that we owed $800.00 ~ which we don't just have laying around, of course. So he went over the letter again, which was for 2004, and over our tax forms for that year. He called the IRS and spoke at length with an agent. The agent agreed that we did file correctly and should not have to pay that $800. He instructed Nod what to do in reply and ended the call with a laugh: "You need to educate those agents!"

Nod felt better about having done it correctly, was annoyed that our forms were not really looked at to start with, wished that he really could "educate" those agents but knows that we can't afford to tick off any of them.

The bother now is that this year's forms are just now ready to be mailed in, and it's the same bunch of forms as in 2004. Nod is now wondering if he should hold off mailing them in until we know for sure that the audit is going to be deemed incorrect.

argh

10 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger TLP said...

The IRS and snakes are the two things I fear the most.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Sar said...

I don't envy you. Taxes and the IRS bounty hunters are scary to me too. Good luck with that.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Nobody who thinks this way: "Nod is now wondering if he should hold off mailing them in until we know for sure that the audit is going to be deemed incorrect." will ever turn in an incorrect tax form.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

That reminds me - I need to mail my stuff in. The feds OWE ME some cheese. And as I like to say, the squeeky rat gets the cheese!

So off to the post office I shall go - right now in fact - to do my squeeking.

As soon as I finish this beer. Today is my "Saturday" after all! Days off totally rule.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Jay said...

Ooof. Aren't taxes fun for anyone? Still, it's a little fun that he was right. Take that, IRS!!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

This is the worst news that I always dread! My heart goes out to you.

One year, the IRS called me, and asked me to call them back. I was worried sick for a week, and it turns out they had the wrong person.

Sending you all good vibes...

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Three cheers for Nod's anal tax ways!! Hip! Hip!...

Way to go! It is good to hear a positive story about taxes for a change. I always hear horror stories, and have known a couple of people who have been through hell with the IRS. I'm glad it looks like all will be well with your business.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hubby always did our taxes up until about ten years ago when I got an in-home business. Now we go to a tax service and it has eliminated much frustrations.

The tax service files them online so we don't have to send anything in. Hubby was just saying today, after he picked up our finished taxes, that he is so not stressed now.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

TAX UPDATE!

I found all my W2 forms (I had three jobs last year), went to the IRS site, filled out the 1040EZ online, printed it out, stuffed everything in an envlope, put a stamp on it, took it into my truck, and..............

Forgot to mail it off. I drove past the post office and went to my favorite bar for a beer and a bacon cheeseburger. Maybe tomorrow I can find a mailbox.

The IRS owes me $479

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Yucko. Taxes are even worse than snow in April.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home