just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Monday, April 03, 2006

What Goes Around . . . Or, Reverse Pay it Forward

Our new super big Giant grocery foods store has a self-scan-self-bag-self-checkout system for those that are techie. Which I am. I've long disliked the way my groceries are bagged, so being able to bag for myself is a big plus. Also, there usually isn't a big line at the check-out station(s) that are reserved for this. (And in case you're thinking, how do they know you've scanned everything? There are random "audits" - once in a while the computer system will pick someone to have an employee re-scan the items in your bag. It only takes a couple of minutes and they give you a $2 off coupon for the inconvenience. I don't mind and I like that $2 off!)

However, today there was. This area has six check-out stations with an open space in the middle, three stations on each side. The whole area had a good many people and carts, so I waited just outside for my turn. Then a store employee walked past me . . . turns out that there was one open, but I couldn't see it from where I was standing.

Well, I was peeved when I realized that she was checking herself out (buying items for her lunch, apparently). If it was the other way around, I would have said "Ma'am, there's an empty station here." But I guess that her limited lunch time break was weighing heavily on her mind. Or perhaps her mother didn't teach her any better than that. (She was older than I am.)

Luckily, I didn't have to wait too long, or my peevishness might have boiled over. I was at the station next to the rude employee. I've gone thru this system many times and I've got it down pat. However, I had a coupon that said "present to cashier". Unfortunately, there were other customers that needed assistance, so I had to wait my turn.

But, lo~ the rude employee was still at her station ... what was the problem?! Heh heh, the machine didn't like her ten dollar bill. It kept spitting it back out. She couldn't finish the transaction!

But I was gone, off to drop off my cart at the valet station and then to get my van.

rofl

8 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger TLP said...

She who laughs last, laughs loudest. I've had nothing but polite service at that store.

Do you know that if the Smart-Shop lanes are crowded that you can use one of the Easy-shop lanes, or a regular cashier? You can. I have.

I love being audited. I've been audited twice. Takes two minutes, and as you said, they give you two dollars for your time.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger tlm said...

Those new Giants really are awesome.

So you guys aren't allowed to push your carts to the car there?

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Minka said...

Weird. In our stores, neithe rin Germany nor here in Iceland, does anyone pack our groceries. We pay, walk further and put our food into our own bags or buy a bag (20 Kr.).
I wonder how I´d react of soembody came and packed my stuff for me :) On the other hand, if they do it well-like heavy stuff on teh bottom, soft on the to- I might indulge in that kinda luxery. One never knows.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Sounds like it turned out all right, at least. Yeah, I hate it when folks cut in front of me. How rude!

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Sar said...

Oh Minka, you should see it here. At the Ukrops grocery store (Christian owned & run chain that's closed on Sundays to boot), not only do they bag for you, they load all the bags onto a large cart, follow you to your car, and load the groceries INTO your car. And they're not allowed to accept tips for this service. Problem is, without meaning any disrespect, it's usually an 85 yo man moseying (how the hell do you spell moseying?) along so I go to the other store that just does the bagging.

But neither by me have the self checkout, 3D. I have seen them in other areas here, and I have to confess, I'm intimidated by them.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

You know, those "self check out lanes" mean the store needs less employees - and less jobs.

But I like to use self chack out lanes too. I have to choose my battles.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Trucker Pete said...

As a former grocery store peon, I can sympathize with the rude employee. In a five hour shift you only have a fifteen minute break, which starts the minute you leave your station, not when you enter the break room ... The last thing you want to do is wait in line behind people who don't know how to scan their crap. Of course, if I'd been cut off by her, I'd be annoyed, too. :P

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Self-scanning is the way to go, but an employee should know better than to use cash in one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home