just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Oldish Photo Weekend


This week's photo isn't so old ~ it's from six years ago when we went to Walt Disney World as a family.

We got up at 3 am this morning. God, that's early. Our girls' HS band needed to be at the school before 5:00 am to take a bus to Baltimore to fly to Orlando, FL.

I tried to get to bed before 10 pm, but it didn't quite work. I took a sleep aid, which did get me to sleep fast, but then I woke up at midnight and had trouble getting back to sleep. I kept thinking about things I needed to confirm that they had packed, or had thought of things that I wanted them to take or do. So I finally got up, went downstairs and started a list. Turned on the TV and finally fell asleep.

Just moments before we had to get out the door, Bookworm came downstairs. Goa'uld had been down for a while. They took one look at each other and started to have a disagreement.

Over what, you ask?

The fact that they were wearing the same thing: khaki capris and a Wicked t-shirt.

Nod and I could only laugh. This has happened before, and one of them has always changed to avoid it. But this time we had no time for that. We just continued to laugh and say "it's a TWIN thing!"

They were not amused. Goa'uld put on a sweatshirt to look different (okay, it was 44 degrees F this morning, so it was justified).

Bookworm called at 9:00 am to say that she and her sister had just passed thru Security (and they had to take off their shoes - for some reason that really tickled them). Now, they would've gotten in to Baltimore by 7 am, and their flight was supposed to leave at 9:20. She said that half the band still needed to go thru Security. Nod was worried that the band would miss the flight. I was hoping that Bookworm didn't really know how many still had to get inspected.

Anyway, we didn't get another call, so I assume that the rest of the boarding went fine. I just checked the airline's flight status website and it says that they're arriving now. (This is a pretty neat feature.)

This is the first time my girls have been so far from home without a family member with them. I'm a tad nervous about it, tho' I know I shouldn't be. I'm sure they'll have a good time.

14 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Boy howdy, I know that "twin thing," they do. They pick the same thing and then try to talk the other one out of it. Why is it so terrible to be alike I wonder?

Of course they will be fine! I hope they have a blast!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Marti said...

Oh gosh, I remember sending them off on that first "away from home without a family member" trip...I feel your anxiety LOL It's an exciting yet trying time. I'm sure they'll be fine though, and will return with great tales of adventures!

Loved the twin thing!

Great picture and post - thanks for sharing!

I’m still fighting WordPress at the new blog, but decided I needed to swing by blogroll buddies and say howdy!

Hope you have a terrific weekend - the weather in the KC area is spectacular!
Hugs,
Marti

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Oh I bet that they had a blast - how very "Adult" of them. And you for not being in a panic ;-)

And I agree with them, it is funny the whole shoe thinng. That's a great feature for the airlines to post the flight arrivals online.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Lila said...

3 a.m.??? Yikes. I'd just stay up all night.

That's pretty funny about the matching clothes.

We're they in Boston without y'all? If they can handle Boston, they can handle Florida.

Sounds like fun!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Please don't tell the girls I said this, but they're perfect dolls. That picture is more than cute, and not many can upstage piglet in my affection.

Don't worry, mama. By 15 travelling without my family was already something I loved doing. Of course, they may grow up like me. Yeah, maybe it's best if you worry.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

They'll be all right. But I'd be nervous too; no mom could avoid that.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Hey! It hit me last night: we let YOU travel to Paris over New Year's one year while you were still in high school (minus any family), AND you also went to Germany while in high school, without family. So, get over it.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger dddragon said...

yeah, but I was a junior and senior, and they're freshmen.

Besides, times have changed. I'm the mom now.

lol

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Yesrie said...

When Alex went to France in junior year (with the HS French club, and with my full support!), I went home and watched movies until I knew the flight had landed.

Olsen twins movies.

OT movies in which they go to Paris X-D (and London, and blah blah blah). The Family Channel happened to be having an OT marathon.... They reminded me of Alex, who's 17 months older than they are, so we'd always been big Full House fans :> It was weird/comforting to see the OTs going solo in Europe.
Yez

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Yesrie said...

TLP: "So, get over it." BWAAhahaha!

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

If they had flown to Miami, you could have called 305-876-7770 to check on the flight status.

But Orlando is probably a good airport too.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Minka said...

hey you got the house to yourself and the hub. Let the sloth hang out and mess around ;)

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Trucker Pete said...

Wow. That is one scary looking piglet!!!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Sar said...

Wow, that trip really snuck up fast! I hope you're enjoying hubby time and the girls their trip. :)

We noticed in the Aruba airport this year lots of US Homeland Security Seals (yes I did say the Aruba airport) and we had to go through security 3 times. It felt like a Karate Kid nightmare - shoes on....shoes off over and over. The funny thing is, you're not allowed to bring fruits out of the country (fruit flies) and I discovered I had forgotten about a banana I'd put in my laptop case earlier in the week (ick, I know)! Through all that security, they never caught it. Homeland Security at its best. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home