just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Monday, September 04, 2006

Steve Irwin, the "Croc Hunter", is dead


I just heard on the news that Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray while filming a documentary:

Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous bard on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.
(this is from the Associated Press)

I always enjoyed watching Steve Irwin. Seemed like such a fun guy, living the life he loved. I saw his love for animals in many ways.

7 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger TLP said...

Yeah, I heard that on CNN early today. Sad.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Minka said...

Oh my god. I can not believe this. I loved that guy...I sceduled classes around his shows.
I am just shocked...his wife Terry, their daughter...incomprehensible.
Oh my God!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I found this out at 6 AM during my daily start-of-shift news check.

What puzzles me is that someone with his level of experience around wild animals could get in this kind of situation.

I guess he under-estimated the stingray. They are usually somewhat timid and choose to swim away from things, but in this case something went wrong.

Last report I heard was that he had the ray cornered.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Yes, as scientists and me say, this is REALLY too bad...

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Lila said...

It is really sad, yes. Reminds me a bit of "Grizzly Man", in a way...

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

My heart goes out to his wife... it is a shocking and huge loss...

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

"...do we somehow channel ourselves along a path..." well, there are those who believe that we choose our parents before we are born, so it is possible that we choose our deaths too, and presumable we would choose that before we even choose our deaths...it's complicated, but entirely plausable...i just don't know myself exactly how it works...

i too shall miss the "croc man"...i loved watching his shows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home