just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Right to Die ...

Poor Terri Schiavo! What a very, very sad story this is ... and it's been dragging on for 15 years!

I would like to officially state that I do not ever, ever want to be KEPT "alive" like that for such a long time. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be existing under such circumstances -- even if I had a functioning mind trapped in a vegetative body, I don't think I would want to go on and on and on without a means to communicate.

And while I am certainly sympathetic towards her parents and understand that they were hoping that she would recover, I also consider it torture to keep your child alive like that.

Finally, I have heard that Terri's husband, Michael, cannot divorce her because she is not competent to go thru a divorce procedure. If this is true, then I find it incredible that Terri's family is lamblasting Michael -- he has tried to go on with his life and they resort to name-calling because of it.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Yeah. It's all so sad. I think part of what happens is, first you keep the loved one alive hoping they'll recover. She was only 26 when this started, so maybe I can see how they hoped she'd get better. But then at some point, you have a new relationship with the person in the vegetative state. At this point, they love the brain-damaged, vegetative woman. And so after 15 years, I guess it feels like there's no going back for them. It would be helpful if the doctors could, after 6 months or less, say "We're sorry, but the odds of eventual recovery are virtually 0. You should consider letting her go." But of course, they'd never do that.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger TLP said...

The whole thing is sad, sad, sad. I do know how it feels to lose a child. If Nivek had "lived" after his brain damage, I know that we would have let him go. It's so obvious that NO one would want to "live" an such a state.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger TLP said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home