just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Friday, June 03, 2005

My Funny DH, Again

Here is another funny story 'bout my darling DH, which took place before Kiddies A&B were born.

One night I woke up, not knowing what it was that woke me up. I lay there in the dark, and then realized that Chatham, our siamese cat that usually sleeps with us, wasn't in bed. I could hear his nails coming up the hall and into our room. Then back down the hall to the other bedroom. And back again.



Hmmmm. What was he doing? Then, I realized that he must be following a moth or something that was flying from room to hall to room and back. I didn't think much about it, til I realized that I could see something fly around the ceiling fan (which was running) and out to the hall. I'm quite nearsighted and it was dark, yet I could see something whiz by. So I lay quietly and waited.

There it was again. Hmmm - what could it be? . . . .

Then I realized what it was.

"D?" I nudged him.

"mmm?" he said sleepily

"I think there's a bat in here."

~ } SLAM { ~

"What are you going to do?" he called from the other side of the closed door.

Hmmmm. I still lay there in the dark, with Chatham running back and forth, beneath the bat that flew its figure-8 course.
our bat hunter
"Do we have some sort of net?" I called.

I could hear D thumping down the stairs and then down to the basement. In a moment he thrust some things thru the door and closed it again.

He had gotten me a fishing net - the shallow kind used to scoop hooked fish - and a pair of oversized garden gloves.

I sat there in the dark and watched that dark shape fly by a few more times, and then swung the net. I made contact, but unfortunately didn't catch it - I had actually hit it with the frame of the net. It lay stunned on the floor, so I scooped it up (with those humongous garden gloves) and took it down to the front door. It was soooo tiny - cute, in fact.

I tossed it out and it flew away.

My big, brave DH. The next time a bat got in the house, he was MUCH better.

lol

8 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

A batslayer! I would definitely hang on to that man!

Also, you have wonderful family members involved in the blogging experience! I love it.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Yesrie said...

{{{Applause!}}}

And I totally love the visuals, including "~}SLAM{~"

Another Mass. connection? I have family in Chatham and I've lived in Salem :> Great names.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Yes, MA connection - DH was a dog man as a child (lol) and I had been working on him about a cat. We stayed at an inn in Chatham on the Cape, and they had some very friendly cats. That hooked him. So I let him name our first cat and he chose Chatham. Ten years later we got a "mutt" cat from a local shelter and decided that Salem had to go along with Chatham.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What courage! What bravery! He truly proved that he's NOT quite the knight in shining armour you may have thought he was.
Oh, well... you were quite the hero.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger TLP said...

I remember that happening. I mean I remember your telling about it right after it happened. I was a little taken aback then. Now I think it's hysterical.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Yeah, that's a great story! Namron Wolverine Pez and I once had a bat in Naples... Eixnihps Garfield Pez was interested in the bat. I think she stunned it. Then Namron scooped it up and threw it out on the balcony. I'd say Namron and I were equally calm... we both thought the bat was slightly creepy -- the way they fly is a little eerie... but they're actually pretty harmless.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

I knew a guy who died of rabies after trying to rid his attic of bats. They are fascinating creatures but BE CAREFUL!! My acquaintance didn't even know he had been bitten. Now he is just a statistic on the CDC website.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Overshop: How sad!! We do have cases of rabies here in Pennsylvania. One kid found a bat and brought it to school ... turned out to have rabies. Luckily no one had been bitten.

Jamie Dawn: I find that I react to others's panic by being the opposite. Contrary of me, in a way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home