just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Moving Day

Twice a year our seating/work stations are reassigned. It has to be done late in the Fall after all the seasonal associates have been hired and trained. It is done again in January after the seasonal period ends and those that are staying on have been given their permanent schedules. Few in Sales or Service have a station/desk to call their own - most have to share with one other person. (Over the Peak holiday season, some share with three or more, and many of the seasonals have a different seat every day.)

This causes a lot more stress than it should. People aren't sitting near their friends, or they and their desk-mate had a good system of sharing down, too far from the restroom or break room, etc. And there is the anxiety of not knowing if the person you're sharing with is a slob or thief. And we have to reconfig the computers with our logons, passwords, and whatever each individual likes to do (i.e. I don't want a new browser window popping up everytime I go to one of the various catalog websites we have, but most of my co-workers do. That's a setting that has to be made within "internet options".)

Norma, who I've known for more than 15 years (her twin daughters are my age) is upset because the guy that she's sharing with has taken over the whole station already - and not even neatly.

I have neatly set up my catalogs, calendar, quick hints & phone number sheet and notes on one half of the station. My desk partner has a whole half left to do with whatever he wants. I know he's been there, because he left his headset plugged in, but he hasn't left anything else. So, we'll see how it goes. I don't care, as long as he's not a slob and leave messes.

There's going to be some interior construction in the Call Center as the product sample room is reconfigured, so the products have been taken upstairs to another room - aaargh, that'll be a pain.

And apparently there are alot of chairs in need of repair:

9 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

When I was working at Barneys I had to share an office for a short time with a young "lady" that was totally disorganized and sloppy. I of course being a neat freak set up systems for tracking product sales, goals, sales associate evaluations and a message log were we could keep in contact with one another... you understand. I labeled everything neatly with matching folders and she still couldn't keep things organized. It would drive me absolutely crazy. And she used to eat her lunch at the desk and always forget to throw away her wrapper. Aauugghh!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Fred said...

What do you guys do to those chairs, anyway?

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Nerdine said...

The only time I had to share workstation was when I was studying. Luckily I always shared mu desk with people who rarely used it, so I could spread my things as I wanted as long as I left some room in the shelf for the other two people's books.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Why? I don't understand why they have to up-end everything like that. They should try harder for some continuity.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I recommend a go-everywhere overstuffed chair with your name on it. They're fun to order too.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Sar said...

Looks like you're ready for office chair olympics (google it, there's some funny stuff out there).

Maybe your new cubby mate will turn out to be a fellow blogger; that could be cool.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Minka said...

Well in case your new partenr annoys you, sar has put a list together of wonderfully annoying things you can give right back at him :)

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

huh? What's the reason for the move? It sounds like needless inconvenience and a waste of time(?)

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

I agree with suarkraut! Makes no sense. Plus, a better work environment that is as stress-free as possible makes for better productivity so this makes no sense on so many levels!

Hope it all goes smoothly for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home