just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Old Photo Weekend


This photo was taken in La Puente, California. I'm thinkin' that I'm about six and Actonbell is about two. (Mom?) The dog in the back is Cecil (named for Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent, one of my favorite cartoons at that time). Cecil was the son of Cindy, my Aunt Mary and Cousins Tommy & Fletcher's dog. (A story about Fletcher, Cindy and her puppies is here.)

When we moved into this house, the grass was about a foot tall. As the lawn mower soon discovered, the tall grass hid about 300 plastic toy soldiers, ranging in size from a couple of inches tall to one that was 12 inches tall. Needless to say, many did not come thru that first mowing unmaimed.

Mom (TLP) has been working very hard the last two weeks on our church's Yard Sale. And her PC got fried, too, so she hasn't been around BlogLand very much. But the Yard Sale is done on June 3 (today) and maybe next week she can turn her attention to getting her PC troubles resolved.

13 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Looks like a witch on your sweater?

Best of luck with the yard sale!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Oh, the humanity! Poor little soldiers.

Great picture.

You really are a caregiver, aren't you? Thanks for the TLP update.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger puppytoes said...

d'oh! blogger just ate my last comment! (hate when that happens!)

this picture is sooooo cute! sorry those soldiers were lost in the line of mowing duty... it's not easy bein' part of the infantry, is it?

thanks for sharing the picture and the warm & wonderful memory! and for the update on your mom! i was starting to go through withdrawls... so i'm very glad to know she'll be back online soon!

have a happyhappyhappy weekend! (hopefully it'll be a bit cooler!) : D

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

So, this was about 20 years ago? Maybe 22?

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

This post reminds me of 'Toy Story' where the wicked kid next door abuses all his toys and has maimed and mutilated soldiers all over the yard.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Sar said...

Great picture & story, 3D. I used to love "refinding" missing toys in the yard as a kid. If I were to move into a house and refind someone else's toys I'd have been all kinds of happy.

Tell TLP she can have the day off tomorrow to recoup, but after that no more excuses! Good luck with the yard sale you two. :)

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Great picture. Hope the yard sale went well.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

At first, I didn't notice the swing you were on. I thought you were in a he-man kind of pose. "Look at me! I'm DDD, the Conqueror!"
I'm a bit loopy today... sorry.

A fried PC is not a good thing. Poor TLP.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Yesrie said...

Commiseration aplenty here for TLP :-( A virus got me (something did, anyway) a week ago Friday. Luckily we resurrected an old hard drive and it's Mightily Fortified now.

Love the picture! And I thought NOBODY remembered Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent - flash from the past! :>

[word verification - habbawaf: No thanks, I just had pancakes.]

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Cute picture! There are so many I haven't seen before!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Meegan said...

Aww, cute picture!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Ooooh! Pictures! I looooveee pics and this one is really sweet...

Poor toy soldiers! Did you bury the ones that died? ;-P

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Marti said...

Great picture! I love those flat wooden seat swings! Hope Mom has her computer going again soon, and made lots of money at the sale!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home