just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Classics

Barbara blogged about rediscovering Felinni films. She wonders what she would think of them now - would she see them in the same way? Or how will her life journey change how she views them - will she enjoy them? I'll have to check back and see.

But it did get me thinking . . .

There have been movies and books that I've viewed or read once a year, faithfully, for years at at a time. One example of this is The Dark is Rising series, which is now going to be made into a movie. These that I've re-read or re-viewed in this manner I have continued to enjoy, pretty much enjoying them the same way. But last fall I started to read abook that I haven't read in probably a decade. I didn't get very far - I know that I enjoyed it then, because I bought other books in the series. But, boy, it sure didn't strike me as worth reading again now.

Kiddies A and B have been reading American novels at school - what I would call classics: The Old Man and The Sea and The Red Pony, for example. They just don't see these as books that they would ever pick up on their own to read. I'm guessing that most middle schoolers feel the same way. So what would the New Classics be? I'll be curious to see what their reactions are to other books as they go into high school. In fact, I'm curious about what the teachers are using these days.

My SO and I will occasionally bring home a movie that we really enjoyed years ago, excited to share this with our teenage daughters. More often than not, we are disappointed - and so are they! Clearly, what we view as good material doesn't measure up to their standards. They roll their eyes, start making more and more trips to the kitchen for a drink, and finally fade away to their rooms.

An aside: in truth, sometimes the SO and I look at each other and say "we LIKED this?? The last time we tried this, it was 2001: A Space Odyssey. What a disaster! I had forgotten the loooong "artistic" shots. Before that, it was the MacGyver series. SO and I never missed that show when it was on tv! But we watched the recently released DVDs and now those shows seem so silly!

I must say that I am quite pleased that I was able to successfully introduce Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing to them. Kiddie B's class read Twelfth Night and she enjoyed it and I used that as the catalyst. In fact, she asked me to buy the DVD, which I promptly did.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Yes, it's amazing that so few movies and TV shows hold up well. Books ususally do better, I think. But movies and TV shows are just so... dated. Even the really good ones. Even ones that sure seemed "timeless" the first time you saw them.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Thanks for the plug, D! I too love "Much Ado."

I rarely watch a film more than once or read a book twice, with the exception of Franz Kafka's THE TRIAL. But when viewing this Fellini movie, I noticed,that it was not what i thought it to be when I was younger. It was much deeper and had a more panaramoic appeal and view of reality than beforehand.

But, yes, most things viewed the first time are either glorious or a disappointment.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

I'm with you Lucinda Sans, I'll reread Jane Austen books too (I'm a sucker for that Mr. Darcy) but I usually don't reread novels.

Movies on the other hand? I find one I like and I will watch the heck out of it. There are some movies that I react to like comfort food. They are usually chick flicks like Roxanne, French Kiss, and yes, Much Ado!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home