just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Happy Birthday, Dad!













A VERY happy birthday to my dear ol' Dad.

When I was about 8 or so, I finished my Froot Loops and took my bowl to the sink to pour out the leftover milk. Dad promptly told me that I was not going to waste all that milk. I had to drink it.

Now, I like milk. LOVE milk - but only when it is cold and pure. Not warm and sweetened. Unfortunately, Goa'uld wasn't born yet, so there wasn't anyone that I could pass that yukky stuff on to. So I had to drink it. Hated every drop. YUK.

Fast forward about ten years. I am a college student at Penn State. I am eating dry cereal and taking a sip of milk with each bite. Someone asks me the reason I eat my cereal like that. After hearing my tale, they point out that my dad isn't around and I could waste all the milk I wanted.

I tried it a few times. Went back to eating dry cereal and taking a sip of milk. And here I am, 46 year old, still eating my cereal that way.

I think it's really funny. Oh, sure, when I was a kid I was really unhappy about drinking that yukky, warm, sweet milk. But this is one of the influences that Dad has on me, and that's okay with me.



9 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger TLP said...

*sigh* Who knew that our kids were tell the world about us later? Not Niks and me.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Sar said...

Memories serve to justify and preserve our past. And it made for a nice birthday tribute to your dad too. :)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Great post, sis'! Yeah, Niks tortured us with food - d'oh! I have some food memories on my blog today, too...

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Whew. I'm glad I never have milk with my cereal.

I hope Niks has a great birthday with the family!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Goa'uld said...

Hey, I love milk in my cereal, but I don’t like it warm and yucky...

Anyway, happy birthday, Grandpa Nox!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I used to love the cereal sweetened milk. Then my mom went all health-nut on me. Ground sticks don't make for good cereal or milk.

That was a really great tribute, by the way.

Incidentally, my father hated wasted food and I was always thin until college when I studied near the cafeteria and felt I had to finish all the food I bought every time I needed a break. Which was a lot. I was a much better eater than student.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger the many Bs said...

That's a cute story. Enjoy your cereal and milk however you can!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Your dad ROCKS. I've been reading stories about him this evening. What a wonderful guy. And I thought my dad was a one-of-a-kind! But they just don't make many of 'em like that... *sigh*

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

I hated milk...still do really. But that's a great idea to have a sip of milk with a mouth full of froot loops. That way the cereal doesn't get soggy. Humpf, who woulda thought

 

Post a Comment

<< Home