just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Hurricanes & Pennsylvania


In 1972, Hurricane Agnes caused massive flooding in Pennsylvania. The above photograph is of the Governor's Mansion, which sits along the Susquehanna River. (This photo is from here.)

This photo is of the Market Street Bridge from our side, the western side, of the River. (This photo is from here.)

Normally the Susquehanna is a broad, shallow river. It has been said that if you knew where to go, you could walk across it. When the Agnes system reached the north Atlantic states, the cloud cover and rain was far-reaching. People here told me that it rained here for 39 days and nights - straight.

Agnes was remembered by the "older" folks a good bit. The local library had framed photos of the flooding in the area. Some has even created a website for memories of Agnes in NE PA.

We moved to PA months afterwards. The news from this flood was but a blip on the news in Los Angeles. I never heard of it (I was about 13 then) until we moved here. Mom and dad looked at houses in Harrisburg that still had marks on the first floor walls from the flood. The Farm Show Building has marks on the wall noting how high the water was (and the Farm Show is several blocks from the River). You can be sure that my folks made sure that they bought a house that hadn't been affected!!


If you'd like to see more photos of the flooding Agnes caused, here's yet another site:
Susquehanna River Basin Flood Forecasting & Warning System.

11 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I remember Hurricane Opal coming through Atlanta. No flooding but trees and power down everywhere. The restaurant I worked at, for some quirk of history was connected to the power at Emory hospital and we were the only place to get food in Atlanta and Decatur. Wow that was a busy night.

Why did I think you guys were in LA until the late 70s? Maybe because Aral's a Steve Garvey fan?

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Yeah, she loved Garvey! But we moved to PA in 1972.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'ts amazing how hurricanes can wreak havoc well inland. These hurricanes are getting ugly. We had three minor brushes last year; it's only a matter of time before Tampa Bay gets one.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger car said...

It amazing how these recent hurricanes are telling us that it's time to change our ways and quit supporting SIN CITIES like New Orleans. How many times do we have to be spanked before we learn to follow the conservative light and President?

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Background is looking great!

Yeah, I remember hearing a lot about that flood growing up. Floods sure leave a psychic mark, in addition to the water marks.

Doug, I followed the Dodgers 'cause I was born in LA and the family was "from LA" when we were in PA. Now that I'm in MA, of course, I'm from PA!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

AP3: hmmmmmmm - I thought you were born in HOLLYWOOD.

'cause you're a STAR.

Ya know? Like that.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I really get it, Aral. I go back to visit friends in various places I've lived in the past and they have to remindv me where I was from.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

But at least Governor Shapp could walk on water....

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Wow! Amazing history.

These wild winds are like the Grand Canyon...a mixed bag of beatify and fear.

I love the new look of your blog. The colors are so peaceful, and go perfectly with the dragon icon.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Water damage had got to be the worst. I'm sure your folks bought a place that was on a high point.
Hurricanes Agnes, Carla, Katrina & Rita are some really bitchy gals!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger TLP said...

Well, Aral was born in Hollywood. But Hollywood is in L.A. It's not an actual city unto itself. The hospital was in Hollywood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home