just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Tale of the Flaming Creamer

In response to Doug's post today, I have this to offer:


Pour it on! When I was at CalArts, a couple of the guys in the class ahead of mine discovered that powered non-dairy creamer was flamable. I don't know what prompted them to set fire to the contents of those little cups they took from a local restaurant. Here you can see the creamer pouring down towards the flame
MORE! MORE! At first, it was a couple of cups. Then it was four or five.
OMIGOSH!! And then it was a much LARGER number of little cups of creamer!
OW! This is Chris, who later went to work at Disney. He is the creator of Stitch from the film Lilo and Stitch. I believe he did Stitch's voice, too.
Do you think Jack Hannah or Bob McCrea will notice this?! James examines the burn mark on the floor. BTW, this studio was the senior animation students' room at CalArts, in the basement near the film equipment. If you have ever seen The Brave Little Toaster, the apartment number in the film is the room number of this studio. (There are a good many inside jokes in some of the Disney films.)


Now, my own "hot" stories:

When we lived in South Pasadena, the family went for a walk without me. Don't remember why. I was probably 8 or 9 years old. Anyway, I had a hardened ball of clay that I wanted to play with. This was an old house with floor heating grates. So, I put the ball of clay on the grate to soften.

Unfortunately, the warmth did too good a job on softening the clay. It fell clear thru the grate and downward - the whole top half of the downstairs rooms now had a layer of smoke. I opened all the doors and windows in hope that it would clear out, but alas, the family returned to soon for me!

And when we lived in West Covina I thought that I could make myself some hot chocolate by taking chocolate milk, pouring it into a cup and putting the cup in a saucepan on the stove. Might have worked if the cup wasn't plastic.

Melted to the pan.

ooops

8 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger sherle said...

Wow! I think from now on I'll just live vicariously by stopping by at your blog now and again!!! ;-)

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Doug said...

hahahaha. I love the last story. I think I may have done something like the clay in the grating. I didn't know non-dairy creamer was flammable! Hmmmmm.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

I bet your house smelled really good after both of your little misadventures. I burned a bunch of scrambled eggs when I was 7 and I haven't liked to eat eggs since. Oh the stench!

I looked your friend Chris up on IMDB.com and there he was credited next to Stitch's voice! There is a nice picture of him there too. He's a nice looking fellow.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

Oh yes. How well I remember the clay in the floor furnace. There was quite the layer of smoke in the house up at the ceiling.

The melted cup ruined both the cup and the pan. Festive. But I'm not bitter.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger AP3 said...

Oh, God, you shouldn't have given Doug any more ideas!

Those are great stories. I didn't know any of them.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Sar said...

What a cool post 3D. I can't join in the fire starter club. But I can join the melting pot since I did manage to melt a Barbie once. She was one of those taning Barbies and this was before I learned about the effects of ultra violet rays, so in all my elementary wisdom, I left her on the heater to bronze. Wasn't a pretty sight in the end. But retrospectively pretty funny I suppose.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Nowadays, just substitute the microwave for the stove. My youngest did something similar to that with macaroni; she forgot to put water in it, and a few minutes later we had smoke throughout the house.

Lesson learned.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger actonbell said...

Wow, I didn't know about either of these stories. And you knew some real characters at art school, huh? I'm impressed that you have pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home