just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Old Photo Sunday IV




















This a wedding portrait of my Dad's parents in 1916. They were both 24.

Grandpa went on to become a college president, Grandma was already a school teacher in a one-room schoolhouse in Arendtsville, PA, when they met. Somewhere we've a photo of him giving her a college degree later on.

Unfortunately, Grandpa died at age 39, leaving Grandma with four young boys. Dad was two and a half when his father died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night my girls performed at our church's Holiday Concert. Of course, it was wonderful.

Every year there is a reading of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Last night was the eighth reading by Peter T., who does it differently each year. Last night's rendition was absolutely hilarious! I'm going to try and Audioblog it for you guys from tonight's performance.

And this afternoon is the High School's Holiday Concert, so Goa'uld and Bookworm are busy this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and one last thing. Last night we discovered that our water company had a flouride leak, so we can't use the tap water. Hopefully it'll have cleared thru the system by later today. Nod bought water at a store near my church last night. This morning I had to run out for milk and the newspaper and saw people buying bottled water. So Mama will be taking bottled water out to Serena today. Chatham seems to like it better. That cat.

13 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger TLP said...

The concert was really good. And I'm not just being a grandmother on that. It was good.

Peter's "Night before Christmas" is always a high point. He finds funny stuff, true, but it's his reading of it that makes it so wonderful.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Fred said...

You have such neat pictures. Next time I'm at my parents' house, I'll have to see what they have. I don't have but one or two of them here.

I love holiday concerts. Glad yours went well.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I agree with Fred, I really like the old pictures. Especially since I, myself, have no ancestors but was hatched. You mean to say that Serena's been drinking tap-water this whole week??? That TLP.

I bet the girls rock at the concert.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

What a beautiful photo. It looks so
well preserved as well.

Holiday concerts are always fun.
I wish you and your family much peace during the season, and a Merry Christmas. (I have no problem wishing those who celebrate a Merry Chirstmas!)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger dddragon said...

Doug: the problem with the water happened Saturday around 5:30 pm. It's 11:30 am on Sunday and we haven't heard yet if it's safe to use the tap water yet.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Marti said...

I love those old pictures!

Hope your water problem is fixed now!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

That picture still looks so clear.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Best excuse I ever had for drinking two root beers before breakfast.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Huh. I didn't know they were the same age! I always thought grandpa was older.

Hope your water's back to normal soon.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Sar said...

Great photo. Maybe it's me, maybe it's old photos, but don't folks always look older than their actual age in them? I was really surprised to read your grandparents were only 24 in that photo.

Hope your water situation gets resolved soon. Looking forward to that audioblog, and kudos to the girls.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Minka said...

He died at 39? That is soo young. Doe syour dad remember anything about him?

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger TLP said...

3D, I just asked your Dad about the ages, and he says his father was a year older than his mother. I'm not so sure. I'd have to look it up.

Monika, Niks really doesn't remember his dad. He's heard tales of him all his life, especially since his mother never felt that any of the boys (who all had at least two college degrees in a day when that was not so common) had the success that their father had. One of the boys had a Ph.D. in physics, and was a Dean at the very same college where his dad had been President, but he wasn't not President, so that didn't count.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Meegan said...

I love the photo. How sad that he died so young.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home