just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Old Photo Sunday III


This photo is of my In-Laws after their wedding at St. Elizabeth's in Ozone Park, NY, in 1948. I didn't know my FIL very well - he died six months after Nod and I got married. I've known my MIL, however, since I was about 16 years old, because she worked in the public library and I was a library page during high school. Knew her before I knew Nod, in fact.

Since TLP posted a story about a dress, I'll tell you a little dress story from my own wedding.

The wedding dress that I used was borrowed from one of his cousins and altered to fit for a whopping $50. Actonbell, as my brides maid, wore a nice dusty pink prom gown that was still at Mama's house. (AP3 ushered.) Anyway, I told TLP and my MIL-to-be that they could wear whatever they wanted to wear - I didn't want to be one of those Bridezillas that you hear about. I just told them that Actonbell would be wearing a dusty pink dress. TLP picked a nice, soft pink dress with coordinating shoes. When I got to the church I found that Nod's mom had a turquoise dress and chunky tan shoes (and I can tell you that she had had those shoes for some time before the wedding...).

Well, it was my own fault. I should've given instructions.

13 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Fred said...

A great picture. What's wrong with what Nod's mom wore? Sounds smashing.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

I love these old photo posts. May I be excused from demonstrating understanding when clothes are the topic? You're supposed to wear them, right?

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger dddragon said...

lol - I suppose that stereotypically guys wouldn't get it. Mom could tell you all about color coordinating with her stories about the women in her office obsessing over it. Anyway, in our wedding photos of the whole family, my MIL stood waaay out in that dress.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger sherle said...

Omigosh!!! I'm gonna have to post my wedding pic some day!! You would be appalled. Needless to say I was literally a lost babe in the woods as far as wedding protocol and such was concerned. ;-(

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Sar said...

That's alright. My mom wore hot pink (not my call) against my bridesmaids' electric blue satin gowns. Had I known, I'd have included "sunglasses required" in the invitations.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger the many Bs said...

SO next time you need to show us your wedding pics, complete with the clunky worn out tan shoes!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The photos from more than a few years ago do look a different age.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Minka said...

When my sister got married this last october she decided against white (she figured since she has three little kids tailing behind her, she couldn´t pull of the virgin colour!), one of the guests was wearing such a white dress that I was urprised people didn´t go up to her and congratualte her on the wedding. Some people really are to daft to be invited.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Love that picture! Did ou have it colorised?

You are blessed with a wonderful family.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger TLP said...

LOL. Men won't understand. Okay, J.'s dress didn't coordinate. That's okay I guess. But the shoes were just WRONG.

When I showed the pictures at work, all the women asked, "Did she forget at the last minute to change out of her house slippers?"

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Just shows what a lesbo I am... I honestly didn't notice J's dress and/or shoes AT ALL.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Tom & Icy said...

My master dressed me up me up with flowers and had a wedding for me and the dog down the street before he let us have pups! Woof!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Minka said...

Icy...I am not surprised at all! You have so much style and you probably looked good all dressed up. bet even teh cast went *woof*!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home