just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Friday, December 02, 2005

Cow, Cow

The CowParade came to Harrisburg in 2004, and I got to be one of the artists. It was a great experience (as I've said before).

small versions


Last summer a friend from church commissioned me to paint a small version of my cow for his wife's birthday. I was nervous about taking on this job, but agreed.










I thought that as long as I was painting one, I might as well paint more than one.

So I had a small herd in the house for a short while. It was fun, more fun than I imagined it would be.



One of these little dougies, uh, doggies, has gone on to a new home. Another will go to the couple that sponsored me in the CowParade.

And yet another was given to my dear ol' mom, TLP, for her birthday, which was November 30.

Flower

This is the real cow as it looked finished in our house. It's made of fiberglas, weighs about 100 pounds. She received a coat of clearcoat at a local auto repair shop.

She now resides at a private farmette in Hummelstown, not too far from the Hershey chocolate factory.





Here she is in Boyds Bear Country in Gettysburg, for the Kick-off for the event.






Here she is in Harrisburg along the Susquehanna River, where she stayed until the auction. The Walnut Street is in the distance. This bridge is about 100 years old. There are two spans missing on the other side of the river, they were wiped out by a massive ice jam on the river some years ago. Mama and Dad used to walk across this bridge and they now have a small piece of it that was salvaged later.

9 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger TLP said...

As you know, I loved the Cow Parade. And I love my new cow. It's on the mantel right now.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Fred said...

How about we say Cow! Cow! in the middle of the month? We could start a whole new blog routine.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

How cool! Does she make chocolate milk? I couldn't resist that any more than you could mis-spelling dogies.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Wow. I am wonderously impressed. And in awe.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger TLP said...

I'm glad you added the pix of her along the river. She was brilliant there.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger sherle said...

She's beautiful!!! The closest I've come to that kind of creativity was photographing the trolls when Midland MI did something similar. 'Tis a wonderful talent you have!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Gee, Drags. That's really swell. Who needs rabbits when you got cows? You got some kind of super talent. (Is Hummelstown from whence come Hummel figurines? Or is the town named after a collection of same?)

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Lila said...

I love the picture by the river... never saw that before!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Sar said...

I knew you were talented, but jeesh, you're really talented!

And I can't resist pointing out that Doug actually did misspell doggies (ie dogies) in his comment above. tee hee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home