just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mothers Day Report

Well, Mother's Day was interesting. We went out to a buffet with my BIL and MIL. Nod was pissed when he found out 40 minutes beforehand that the hotel buffet that his brother picked out was $25 per person. I told him to either call his brother and say we can't afford that or to just suck it up and use his credit card. Nod's been pissed at his brother for days now concerning their mother and how dear Bro has been spending her money ... Nod chose not to fight at that moment (as it turned out later, Bro used HIS credit card, but I have no illusions as to how he'll really pay for it).

The food wasn't horrible, but certainly wasn't worth the money. Because BIL had waited until late to make reservations, we got one of the last seatings - 2 pm. I just HATE eating that late - it throws off the whole day, even if it is only Sunday.

So my girls and I ate more desserts than anything else (the beef and pork was dry and/or fatty, the veggies were pretty tasteless...). MIL seemed to be in an okay mood. Kept forgetting what she had already eaten, tho'.

Then, near the end of the meal, the server came around to total up the bill. My BIL is 50 and could be taken for a little older. So the server said in a businesslike way as she glanced around the table, "no children, two senior citizens..."

Well, that did it.

You see, my MIL has been SO incredibly secretative and vain about her age that all her old co-workers really, really wondered what it was. While my mom eagerly took her senior discounts, my MIL (as tightwad as she could be) would NEVER trade a discount for admitting her age.

So, my MIL exploded. She was SO insulted, yadda yadda.

Dear Goa'uld tried to make it better by saying that it was a compliment if someone had to ask . . . and then my MIL looked straight at my daughter and said "B-S".

Oh, no you don't. You don't mess with my kids. You don't swear at them. Especially my Goa'uld, who is very sensitive to swearing.

Good thing Nod was sitting between me and his mother. As it was, I leaned across him and said a few choice words at her.

Yeah, I know. Alzheimer's is a nasty disease. I don't care. Don't mess with me and my offspring. I'll bite your head off.

Nod has promised that I get to pick a place for us to go out to later on.

10 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger TLP said...

*sigh* And the MIL was on her "good" behavior.

Sad.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

yikes, what a fiasco.

As a mother hen who tranforms into a mother grizzly when provoked, I understand your protectiveness of your daughter!

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Sorry that was so miserable! I got lucky this Mother's Day, huh?

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Wow. I had a much more stress free time. I took ma to a really nice place. My dad had to work Sunday, so he took her to lunch while I was at work.

$25 per head for a buffet is a bit much. Not that I have not done this, but all I had to do was pay for myself only or at worst two people.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Way to be, Della. You rock.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Yesrie said...

How awful all around, and I don't blame you a bit for scolding MIL.
Yez

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Bummer, Dddragon. I'd have wished you a much different Mother's Day. From what I know of you, the day should be called Dddragon Day anyway.

Now I understand your comment on my site better.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Minka said...

You MIL sounds swell, a real hoot! I would have jumped her too and I work with Alzheimers patients all day!
Being a MIL must come with an instruction manual...they all seem to be ...hmm, difficult!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

you go tell your MIL off, girl!

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger The Gnat's Trumpet said...

Good for you. It's my first visit here so I don't really know the back story about any of the people involved except what I can gather from this post, but since it seems your MIL is well enough to be going out to eat she should be well enough to avoid being so rude. Thanks for visiting me today, I hope you'll be back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home