just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Rabbit Rabbit Hot Hot



Naturally, Band Camp is once again during the hottest (thus far) week of the year.

Camp runs three hours in the morning and three hours in the evening. Yesterday morning it was in the 80s by 8:00 am. Last night when I dropped them off at 5 pm, it was 97 degrees F, dropped down to 90 by 8:40. The Band Boosters provide water and orange slices. In the morning, a couple of stupid girls (the stick-skinny ones) admitted to not eating breakfast after they threw up water and oranges due to heat. There is a heat advisory for today and there will probably be one tomorrow - both days are expected to be 99 or 100 degrees. The Boosters will have a "heat triage" today.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Art Camp this week looks promising - only four kids in my afternoon session (tho' it's three girls and one slightly younger boy - poor boy!) and they seem to be a fun bunch.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Saturday I drove by the park and noticed that a large, yellow rental truck had backed up to the dumpster (the Little League's). A man was throwing what appeared to be sections of paneling. I could see that a mattress and a chair or loveseat was on the far side. I had dinner on my mind and kept going, but by the time I got home a couple of blocks away, I was bothered by what I had seen. (Here in our boro, we are allowed to leave one Large Item at the curb for trash pick-up. If someone on our block has more than one, then the rest of us have always taken in their extra large items if we didn't have any ourselves.)

Since it wasn't a 911 call and our police office is closed on weekends (the police are out, but no one is in the office to call), I called our mayor Lou and explained what I had seen. He made a call and then called me back to ask if I could run back over and try to get a license number. I did run over, but the guy had gone. I waited for a police officer to come by, and in the meantime took a look at what was left.

Two upholstered chairs and a full or queen-sized mattress and a dumpster full of broken, jagged wood panels and sheet rock, much sticking out of the dumpster, and a mess on the ground around. This is an area that gets lots of people with children, too!

Unfortunately I couldn't give the officer a licence number, but I described as best I could what I had seen. He took the info and drove off, hoping to catch the guy still in town. I resolved that next time I would park a short distance away and wait for them to drive away and then get the license number (if dinner wasn't so pressing I would have probably done it this time. Dinner was late anyway!!).

ANYWAY, last night while I was waiting for band to finish, I got a call from Mayor Lou (actually, a buzzzz ... I had my cell phone on vibrate and it was in my back pocket - gave me quite a start). Lou told me that the police had caught the guy and he would be emptying out the dumpter!

~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, my site meter right at this moment is at 15,991. Let me know if you're visitor #16,000.

8 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger puppytoes said...

i knew you were impressive... and now i know you're an impressive do-gooder! (which, in my book is a very good thing). i heartily salute you for your civic mindedness with a HUZZAH!


and... RABBIT! RABBIT! xox neva

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Lila said...

Rabbit, rabbit!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Sar said...

Deputy Dragon, keeping skrawny chicks hydrated and dumpsters clean, coming soon to a community near you. :))

That was a funny story, 3D. There really is never a dull moment in your life.

Rabbit Rabbit!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Sar said...

And you know you just admitted to being a busy bee with a buzzing butt.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger TLP said...

LOL SAR!!

Yea 3D. You do yo Mama proud!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

well, I seem to be my own 16000th visitor ...

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Dang. 16,002. Always late to the party.

Rabbit, rabbit!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

RABBIT RABBIT!!!
16,008 late but I'm just happy to be here!

That's a GREAT picture of the girl's "making their entrance"...16, wow...are you scared? ;)

Way to go on dumpster patrol, next time I see you, I wanna see a badge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home