just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Jellybean the Clown

Jellybean with JoJo

When my girls were younger, I worked a couple of nights a week. On Tuesday nights, Nod would take the girls to a local buffet-type restaurant (usually meeting his mom and brother there). It was Family Night and there were a couple of clowns there making balloon creatures for the kids.

For months I heard about Jellybean and JoJo and saw the balloons animals that my girls brought home. It became clear that there was a special relationship growing between the clowns and my family. So I finally took a night off from work to go see what this was all about.

When Jellybean saw me sitting there, his eyes got big and he rushed off to get JoJo, his son. (I think that they figured that Nod was widowed or something.) The two clowns came to our table, and Jellybean said to JoJo, "see, the Mother is here!"

We came to know Jellybean and his family. He and his son came as clowns to the girls' birthday parties for free, making balloon creatures for the kids. Jellybean would try out complicated, elaborate balloon creations and give them to us.

His other son, Patrick, participated in the Special Olympics and Jellybean was a steadfast volunteer at all of their events. He worked a second job to earn money so that Patrick could travel to non-local competitions.

Jellybean passed away on December 22, and the memorial service is tonight.

8 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger TLP said...

I remember Jelly Bean and JoJo, since Niks and I were sometimes included on those Tuesday nights. And of course, I remember him from the birthday parties. He was a sweetie. I was sorry to hear that he was gone.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story/tribute, dddragon. I think I saw him ONCE, on a birthday. I'm sorry to hear that he's gone.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Lila said...

Sorry to hear about JellyBean. From the picture, it looks like he died too young....

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Bless him. He left the world worthy. Sounds like he was a real gift to you and the girls and his sons and a lot of other people.

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Jellybean was a good man. Too bad there are not more like him.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Fred said...

Sorry he passed away. There are so many good people out there, we just don't hear enough about them.

Have a great 2007, DDD.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Really sorry to hear about Jellybean. Hope the Memorial Service went well.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Doug The Una said...

Happy New Year, Dddragon. To all of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home