just wait, it's coming! dddragon presents: Is Anything Truly Random?

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Don't look if you haven't see Star Wars III ...

Okay, STOP HERE if you haven't see it and don't want to spoil it.

I did like the movie - a lot. There is a good bit of nostalgia associated with it for me - I truly was taken in with the first movie, so long ago in the same galaxy. But now that 24 hours have passed, I do have some observations, at least of things that stick out at the moment. Not to tear it apart like some movie critics have, just comments.

There is so much going on that I think that the movie could have been longer to devote more time to each of the different storylines. I would have also enjoyed seeing the characters interact a bit more - giving more time to "flesh" things out.

It sure is a busy movie and you won't be bored, with everything rushing towards the point that would leave the characters waiting 20 years or so, to when we all see them in 1977 in Episode IV: A New Hope. Oh, wait, that was 28 years ago, right?

hee hee

R2D2 is more mobile than ever, and is able to do more to help. The special effects are better and pretty seamless - I'm impressed with the creature that Obi Wan rides as he hunts the Droid General Grievous; it looks like he really is riding that thing. And General Grievous is interesting - a droid with what appears to be an organic heart and a cough -- what's up with that?

Yoda is also more mobile. He is entirely CGI in this film, very well done. I do think, however, that the ol' Yoda that was operated by the Muppet puppeteers had a bit more of humanity about him. But that method would not have allowed for the battle between Yoda and the Emporer, and that's not to be missed!

Hayden Christensen (Anakin) is good at glowering - I guess that I need to see him in other movies to see what else he can do. I do think that Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker showed more emotional and internal termoil as he learns about the Force, what the Dark and Light sides offer, and what paths he has before him and what the results might be.

It's interesting to be so sympathtic to Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader - the Villan of the next three episodes. He has chosen a path that will take him down a dark path, and yet he is trying to save Padme. In the theater, we can't believe that he will actually kill all the Jedi younglings - and yet he does. And when he and Obi Wan have that dramatic battle over and around lava, Anakin/Vader is hurt and maimed hitoniously (I'm using Jamie Dawn's word), we can't believe that Obi Wan just leaves him there, presumably to die alone.

The one thing I, as a mother of twins, really gotta pick at: when Padme runs toward Anakin on the volcano planet, she runs like someone who is NOT pregnant. Later, when she delivers the twins, the twins are too big to have come from a belly that small. (Mine were both 6 pounds 3 ounces, I know what I'm talking about!)

I'm sure that I'll be seeing it again . . . there are things that I'm sure that I missed, the small stuff that is fun to find. Oh, look for the Peter Cushing/Grand Moff Tarkin look-a-like near the end with Darth and the Emporer.

We did watch the ol' tape of Episode IV: A New Hope. Boy, it's fun to watch! And there are some mistakes and glitches in it, as many of us are aware of. But it's still fun.

See SciFi Daily for a good review.

7 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Lila said...

"Humanity" is a good way to describe the original trilogy, and *exactly* what is missing from the prequels. I noted in my blog that the original trilogy had character development and humor, whereas the prequels don't. "Humanity" is maybe a better way of saying it.

I think that Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher -- and the voice of C3PO -- added a lot of humor and warmth to the original trilogy. In retrospect, I appreciate Mark Hamill's and Alec Guinness' acting more than ever. I think they both had roles that could've been totally corny or unfeeling, but they made it work. If (wooden) Hayden Christensen had been in Mark Hamill's place, I don't think Star Wars would've even taken off. Especially impressive is Mark Hamill in The Empire Strikes Back, I think. Man, poor acting would've made that a DISASTER -- half the movie is Luke and Yoda! But I *love* that movie. He pulled it off.

I have to admit, I prefer the old school special effects. When special effects are done the old fashioned way (with muppet/puppets and models and such) they do have a warmth that CGI just doesn't. I think Yoda has lost a little "warmth" and reality through CGI. Couldn't they do him as a muppet EXCEPT for the fancy fight scenes? Maybe not.

I also miss the look of the old C3PO a little too. I liked him all bumbling and rickety.

I didn't get emotionally drawn into the first two prequels at all. I got drawn into the third one only after Anakin/Darth fell into the lava... but the movie was nearly over by then. It was interesting to see Obi Wan just leave him there to die alone, I agree.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger GodlessMom said...

Your thoughts mirror mine almost exactly, right down to Padme's belly size!

Did you notice that General Grievous had a face structure nearly identical to Darth Vader? There was the Cadillac grill looking mouth and the bullet shaped protruberances. Trick it out in shining black with a helmet and cape and voila! Vader! The four light sabers was pretty cool though, weren't they?

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I think Hayden's acting was less than stellar and he really doesn't have the acting chops to carry off such an extraordinarily complex role. I think that Ewan McGregor would have played the Anakin role with more depth. I thought Ewan was the best actor followed closely by the evil Palpitine. He made me shiver!
I LOVED Yoda in this flick! I loved the old ways too, but he really kicked butt...butt alas, "Failed have I."

I will certainly see it again. The good far outweighs the bad, and I was very satisfied with it overall.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I won't look, but will say, my daughter will not go see this episode without watching 1 and 2 first. Not being a Star Wars fan, I will go just to accompany the family! But still, I won't look.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'm going to wait for the DVD. That way, I can watch it over and over again.

Either I'm frugal, smart, or lazy. I can't decide which.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger dddragon said...

Ah, but Fred, you oughta see it on a BIG screen!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Fred said...

I'll just move closer to the TV.

(P.S. I seem to be reading your blog more often and we have the same blog buddies, so I threw up a link to your site.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home